Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Thoughts about Ikea furniture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
PapsD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I recently bought a couch almost identical to that one and highly recommend crate and barrel. It's expensive but their sofa frames come with a lifetime warranty. Plus you can get it delivered and the customer service was awesome. And you can get your couch in almost any color you want. Plus you can always get a slip cover later.

Ikea is ok. I can't stand the particle board b.s. Me and my wife have some of their furniture and it's not that great imho.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #32
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I put mine in the fridge on Sunday for a party on Sunday of this week. 2-3 days curing and the rest of that time chilling out in the fridge and it should be just fine right? Havent made it in a little while, hoping I havent jumped the gun.

Due to the Jewish influence in my house (ie my wife's best friend) we have taken to serving ours on a bagel heehee.
It will be just fine. You could cure it for up to a week, and then it lasts another week or so if kept in the fridge. Take it out of the curing plastic bag, pat it dry with a piece of kitchen roll and put it in a new, dry plastic bag.

In Sweden gravlax is an integral part of the Xmas smörgåsbord a.k.a. Julbord, and there have been cases of botulism(!) due to largely two factors:

1. Not enough salt, or using mineral salt when curing. This makes for an environment where microorganisms other than the lactobacillus thrive.
2. Leaving the gravlax out in room temperature for extended periods of time, going back and forth from the fridge to the table over days. Not good.

But yours will be fine. I guess you have been using Kosher salt then?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1600 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefattguy View Post
It will be just fine. You could cure it for up to a week, and then it lasts another week or so if kept in the fridge. Take it out of the curing plastic bag, pat it dry with a piece of kitchen roll and put it in a new, dry plastic bag.

In Sweden gravlax is an integral part of the Xmas smörgåsbord a.k.a. Julbord, and there have been cases of botulism(!) due to largely two factors:

1. Not enough salt, or using mineral salt when curing. This makes for an environment where microorganisms other than the lactobacillus thrive.
2. Leaving the gravlax out in room temperature for extended periods of time, going back and forth from the fridge to the table over days. Not good.

But yours will be fine. I guess you have been using Kosher salt then?
Kosher salt (and pretzel salt when making pretzels) are the only salts found in my house . Thank you for the reassurance. If you were in New York, I would be curious to see how gravlax measures up to the one you had at Xmas .

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #34
kroach01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 40

My entire apartment is ikea. I really like the design and ease of assembly. You will definitely want some basic tools if you're assembling >4-5 things because the included tools will give you blisters. I'd recommend staying away from the particle board stuff if you can but they're good for night stands. The sofa i have is firm but fine. some things may come loose but a quick turn of the wrench solves it. Also has a bed and its very comfortable. Don't remember model names offhand, sorry.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Most of my furniture is IKEA, for the price, the quality is far higher than competitors. Also, they have a line of solid wood (not veneer) furniture that is very appealing.

Quick Reply