Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Thoughts about Ikea furniture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Thoughts about Ikea furniture

SWMBO and I are looking for a new sofa and are checking out Ikea and this model specifically. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99875139/
I have heard both good and bad things about Ikea and their products and warranty.

One thing that stands out is if you have an issue with something you have to take it apart an bring it into the store to have it inspected. I have read some older posts about what a PITA this process is. WE sat on the couch in the store and it is pretty comfortable. We also live in a 100+ year old half duplex so getting a standard couch into the house requires us to bring it in through the window on the side of the house. Any one have any thoughts on this model or their couches in general?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 2077

We have two IKEA beds (including the king size in our bedroom), a glass dining table, assorted lamps and some Swedish-funky chairs (my wife is Swedish and we're Scandinavian-proud). We love it, no problems.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 106

We used Ikea to remodel our master bathroom. We also have a king sized bed frame and several book cases from them. So far so good. The only issue we have had is with a particualr cat that can open the drawers on our Ikea bedrame...at 2 oclock in the morning

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
zman
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My daughter has had two beds from IKEA in the past couple of years. Not because of quality issues, but because of space issues. The house we rented when we moved down here had vaulted ceilings and we got her a loft bed that was fantastic. When we bought our current house, the ceilings are not high enough in her bedroom so we had to sell that and buy her a different bed. We have not had any issues with either. We also have several dressers and a couple of Expedit shelving units. Almost all of it was hauled in the back of my Saab wagon!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
longmi01
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

We've got IKEA couches in our home, no issues in the 5 years we've had them. We did, however, make the mistake of getting cream colored fabric - that ended up getting kinda grungy looking after a few years. The good thing about the IKEA couches is the cover is easily removed, for either washing or replacement.

Regarding getting the couch into your old house with small openings - I seriously doubt you'll have any issues getting the parts and pieces through your doorways. Each couch will be broken down into at least 4 pieces (seat/bottom, back, armrests, cushions), and they're pretty manageable.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by longmi01 View Post
Each couch will be broken down into at least 4 pieces (seat/bottom, back, armrests, cushions), and they're pretty manageable.
Pretty sure that is his primary justification for going Ikea instead of 'Sofa Universe' or something

Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1772 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 3015

3 things. 1) Everything we have received from Ikea (mostly tables and book shelves) we have been happy with. I also watch the "you feel sorry for za little lamp..." commercial on youtube at least once a year. It gives me a chortle.

2) Pappers, are you familiar with gravlax? I make my own, have some curing in the fridge in fact. I would be interested to see how a true Scandinavian regards my gravlax.

3) wolfstar... that cat shares living space with several large dogs and a few full on wolf-dogs... I gotta imagine that that is one badass kitty.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I had a lot of ikea stuff in my first apartment. Still use the bookcase. It's fine. Held up reasonably well. Held up very well for the price. It's not the nicest stuff but it's not trash either.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife and I have bought a lot of stuff from Ikea because it is much cheaper than any other furniture store. We try to buy everything in solid wood if possible. What they have is usually soft pine but will hold up better than laminate.

Quick Reply