*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Those of you who work at home, what do you do??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
LoneOakDesign
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Those of you who work at home, what do you do??

So I'm burned out at work. I'm a mechanic and have been for 5 years now. With the economy the way it is, work has been slow. So slow that it has given me a lot of time to think. I'm 29 years old and my whole body has aches and pains now that I didn't have 5 years ago. This career is wearing me out. I would love a stay at home job, but have no idea what kind of opportunities are out there. My wife is pregnant with our first child and I think the ability to stay home and work would be very beneficial with a newborn around. I know quite a few of you work at home. What are some of the pros and cons of doing so? And exactly what kind of job do you have?? Just looking for some ideas to toss around. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I work from home most of the time. I'm a software engineer working for a California company. With a cable Internet connection, a nice PC with 2 20" monitors, and a kegerator close by I don't miss the office much.

As for disadvantages, I do miss going into the office and hanging out with co-workers, especially the beer socials. When I come into the office for the company I work for now it's a field office mostly with sales people I don't work with, and they don't do anything social.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I sometimes work from home. My employer supplies me with a laptop, so its easy to connect to company resources from home. I do health policy analysis for a large not-for-profit, which involves desk-job type stuff that can be done from almost anywhere with a fast internet connection.

The only disadvantage with working from home is that I interact with several people throughout the day, and most of the time face-to-face communication is more effective than email.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4789 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Up at 9:30. Look at pron. Send an email. More pron. Cup o joe. Nap at 10:00 beer at 11:00. pron again. Woot Off! another email.

By then the day is done.

Log time in as 8 hours with 30 minute lunch and 30 minutes OT.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I design and maintain networks/vmware installations. Pays well, 95% work from home.

Pro's: Time gained by eliminating commute. Close to kids in case of emergency.

Cons: Can get rather boring with limited personal interaction. Everyone (wife included) seems to think your schedule is clear anytime. Can be unpopular with deskbound co-workers.

Last edited by Philip1993; 11-05-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm an account manager for a stock photography supplier, and nearly all of my business is conducted via phone or email. In my case, I find I am far more productive in this situation vs. the goings-on of the office.

Company VPN, computer, phone and fax. I'm golden.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think the OP (and ME) was wondering...any of you guys have a hookup for a better job for those of us that work at the office full time?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Dadrick
Recipes 

I don't work at home right now but I did, small civil engineering projects. The jobs were so small that I rarely had to deal with others in my office, and thats what got me into a bit of trouble. I fell down on keeping the boss up on what I was doing.

It takes a very discplined person to effectively work at home, there are a lot of distractions; kids, TV, laundry, quick trip to the store, etc. Works best if you are not "on the clock" but rather results oriented.

Best of luck if you decide to try and find a suitable position.

Rick

“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world” - Kaiser Wilhelm

"Wasser ist für waschen, nicht trinkens. Bier ist für trinkens"
translation: Water is for washing not drinking, beer is for drinking. Poppa Boxhiemer

Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

I run our county's Lifeline program. I have to see elderly clients in their homes, but the rest of the time I'm at my desk in my home office. I have a fax, computer, dedicated phone line (if you call a hospital extension, it rings at my desk at home), and some storage space for my equipment.

It's convenient for me, but it is only part time. You still don't have as much free time as you think, though- I mean, if I had a baby around, I'd get a lot less work done! I've been very productive at home, and actually work a few less hours than when I went to the office. No coworkers showing wedding pictures, no coffee chat, etc, to interupt my work.

There is a lot of flexibility in doing this, though. If I have a doctor's appointment, I just work later in the day to make it up. It also is harder in some ways. That's right- turn off the Today Show and get to work! It's easy to procrastinate if you're not terribly self-motivated.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
LoneOakDesign
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Up at 9:30. Look at pron. Send an email. More pron. Cup o joe. Nap at 10:00 beer at 11:00. pron again. Woot Off! another email.

By then the day is done.

Log time in as 8 hours with 30 minute lunch and 30 minutes OT.
i have a feeling i would be great at this! How's the pay???

I feel like I am in need of a career change and that i am young enough now to do so. If i decide to go that route though, i want to make sure it is something that i wont get burned out on again in a few short years. I have my bachelors degree in rangeland ecology and management, but that degree is kind of hard to find a job in while living in a big city like I am. I'm really good with my hands and can build just about anything from wood or steel. I'm flirting with the idea of a handyman type job, but expendable income is really sparse nowadays so i'm not sure what kind of demand there may be. basically i'm just looking for some ideas.

Quick Reply