The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Thinking about selling guns/parts for brew equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
NikolausXX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thinking about selling guns/parts for brew equipment.

I was on a big gun kick a few years back. I bought some AK47 parts kits, recievers, and magazines, and ammo back then. The .gov banned the stuff from importation about 2 years ago. This stuff is skyrocketing in price. Since Obama has been elected prices are almost 250 for my lower kits and 500 for my primo kit! I havnt shot a gun in 2 years, and have several working guns ranging from rifles, shotguns, and EVIL guns. Im thinking about making my prior hobby of making guns money to buy kegs, and equipment. Im sure you all agree! Barack may come for the guns, but he cant take my beer. Well or the guns I keep either for that matter as I will not live unarmed.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
blindtiger
Recipes 

You'd probably have better luck selling the kits if you put them together first. get more money, plus most of the people going gun crazy because of the election probably don't know how to put them together.
Also I'm always looking for a good deal so if you figure out what you're selling and how much you want I'd like to see it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

DEFINITLY KEEP SOME GUNS!!!!!!!!! Sell a few, but keep a few as well.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I think this is the first instance on HBT where RDWHAHB is NOT the proper advice.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is that true? Gun prices are going up because people think Obama is coming for their guns? That's hilarious. How are the prices on black helicopter detectors and tin-foil hats?

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by climateboy View Post
Is that true? Gun prices are going up because people think Obama is coming for their guns? That's hilarious. How are the prices on black helicopter detectors and tin-foil hats?
You don't read the news much do ya?

Its 100% true

Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Its true. Sad to say, if your buying guns from dealer, your name and adress is on paper for them to come get them, if worst case happens. Half my guns are on paper, half are not. If crap hits fan, half were lost in wild boating accident! But no, seriously, kit prices have gone up 200% in last year or 2. To build theese rifles I would need to buy a drill press, a rivit jig, or make one out of bolt cutters, and a large press to press the barrels back in. I have about 400 in the kits, there worth over 1000 right now. I might keep one to myself, but I need to build it soon if thats the case. Shooting semi auto rifles has got alot more expensive over last couple of years, I guess homebrewing has too. The gun building hobby is alot like homebrewing, alot of DIY info out there on sites like ar15.com, and gunco.net etc. Just the price of ammo, and supplies has doubled or trippled over the years due to legislation, and metal prices. The gun guys are as die hard as the homebrewers. Alot of high dollar folks willing to shell out money for stuff that is hard to find.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I think this is the first instance on HBT where RDWHAHB is NOT the proper advice.
This is what ive been doing for the last year or 2. Its good avise. If your of good mental state, owning guns and drinking homebrew or any alcohol is not really an issue. Ive been sitting back, kicking myself for not building these rifles, but at same time appreciating the increase in value they have gained form our .gov further regulating and baning firearms. Only thing is dont want to wait too long till you cant sell it, or worse, it becomes contriband. I will never sell all my guns. My stainless .357, my ar15, and my remington 12 guage will always be with me! I would probably keep my chineese sks too, as its not on paper, and is pretty accurate. The AK's are neat, but they are a little inaccurate compared to us built ar15, and ammo and supplies keeps getting harder to find and more expensive. If I sell and get 1000 bucks to spend on home brew, and mabey knock down some credit card debt, ill be enjoying beers for years, until .gov says thats not ok.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 11-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by climateboy View Post
Man my tin foil hat business is going through THE ROOF!! With the purchase of 5 tinfoil hats I give away one free Tap-A-Gard. That's right the pat. pend. device that keeps The Man from listening in on your telephone conversations! ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i go through hobbies like a tuna goes through water. does that make sense, i just made it up? anyway, i was on a gun kick a while back as well. and what ive found is that you typically return to hobbies after a while and will end up spending more money rebuying what youve sold than if you had just kept it to start with. now your situation may be slightly different, since it seems like you can make a profit on the guns. but if prices continue to rise and you eventually want to get back into the hobby, you may be rebuying stuff for more than you sold it. or maybe you could sell high now, it might turn out the gun scare is all for naught, and prices go back down. then you could buy in again for less than you sold and you'd be gold. too bad i broke my crystal ball in a freak bowling accident.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply