Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > thinking about getting a BICYCLE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
rockytop714
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default thinking about getting a BICYCLE

Apparently I wasn't the only one confused by another thread on here about someone looking to get a "bike".

I was hoping to get a little insight into the subject and was going to comment but then realized that it should probably be in it's own thread.

So, here it goes: much like the OP in the other thread, I am a big guy. I'm about 6' tall and weigh in around 285, right now, but hoping to get that number to something lower (it's a work in progress).

I have my old GT Talera/Outpost that I got in 7th or 8th grade (about 20 years ago) and it works ok for what I use it for, which is pretty much just the occasional ride, for now. It does have some issues, though, and it's just old, to be honest. I would like to start riding a little more often and possibly using it to commute to work, when weather permits.

I only live 3-3.5 miles from my office, so I don't need a touring bike. I like to ride on mountain roads, but I don't really have much of an interest in trail riding, so I don't need or want a mountain bike. So I guess I'm looking at a road bike or a hybrid/"fitness" bike.

I also don't want to spend a pile of money on a bike, either.

Just curious to see what suggestions you might have or if there are certain things I should look for, when/if I start looking around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
xfevv
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Funny, I'm just about the same size as you, 6' 286, and recently started riding a bike to try and lose some weight and get exercise. I inherited my bike from a friend whose husband passed away a couple years ago. It's a great bike and perfect for a big guy like me. It's a Gary Fisher Tiburon Hybrid (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...&model=Tiburon). Looks like you can pick up a used one for a couple hundred bucks on eBay/Craig's list. New they run about $500 or so.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Personally if money was no object then I would get the Trek Transport. Killer bike set up for urban utility use but pricey. Otherwise I would look a the Trek FX series, sensibly priced with a nice commuter setup.

Yes I am a Trek guy.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Until they opened the light rail extension near my office, occasionally I would ride the train as far as it went and then bike the remaining 4 miles to work.

I ride a very old Cannondale mountain bike. The two things I don't like about it are: 1) it's a really heavy bike and 2) it's not ideally geared for long hills.

The two things I like about it are: 1) I sit nice and high so I get a good view of traffic and 2) it's practically indestructible.

Something I think you might want to check into, and I'm considering it too, is an extra long seat post. I'm 6'-1". I have my seat post extended slightly beyond its safety limit. I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable if I could extend it another inch.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Another thought is to do some upgrades to your current bike like some smoother tires and ergonomic grips and a more comfortable seat and just ride that, after of course a good cleaning and going through. The nice thing is if you have to park it outside in a rack it will most likely be the worst looking bike in the rack so it will be less likely to be even considered to be stolen. That is what my current commuter bike is, my mountain bike from when I was in 7th grade set up as a single speed smooth tires and some comfortable grips.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

just buy something in the right size off craigslist. There are tons of nice quality bikes that some other poor sucker paid full price for, rode for two month, put it on a rack in the garage, and let it collect dust for two years before deciding to sell if for less than half what it cost them.

My $2200 road bike cost me $400. Sure it had a few scratches but nothing major. Sure it is a few years old but the components (where all the real cost is anyway) were top notch then and still good quality by today's standards.

My $800 mountain bike cost me $200. It was two years old, you could not tell it had really even been ridden hard, and it had recently been fully tuned by a local bike shop.

As far as style goes I think the Fitness bikes are perfect for commuters. Light but not fragile/delicate frame sets. No money tied up in complex and expensive suspension systems. Low rolling resistance wheel and tire sets but not so thin and delicate that you get a flat rolling over a discarded bottle cap. Good quality components without paying for full race top dollar gear.

The previously mentioned FX series from Trek and the similar offerings from competitors like Cannondale are very solid. I may very well replace my mountain bike (Trek) and my road bike (Cannondale) with one single Fitness style bike in the not so far off future.

Will ride for beer!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3402 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 286

No tuneups or home loans needed. Of course, you aint riding to the top of Kilimanjaro with it either.

And I know, it'd be 1,000 times cooler if it were a old American made Schwinn.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 121

+1 on buying a used, quality bike, then paying $100 for a shop to fix it up. I worked in a shop for 10 years, most bikes end up as dust collectors.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
JusBiz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ya, I have also been on the market for a good commute bike- maybe 2 miles each way. Are the "hybrids" a must, or is your average mt bike fine?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
SwivelHips
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

^^ Mtn bike is fine; fit is more important than the style of bike. OP, I agree you should pick up a good-quality used bike with a sturdy frame. Steel rides better than aluminum if you are not going with suspension. Buy a good brand, not department store crap.

Quick Reply