Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > These Movies Rock: Night Watch & Day Watch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
blacklab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default These Movies Rock: Night Watch & Day Watch

So, I work with these Russian girls. Spoiler: This story does not end how you are imagining it to.

They are way smarter than me and totally make our entire org look great, all the time. Both of them moved to the U.S. and naturalized with their parents during the 80's. Their families fled Russia because of various reasons. We don't really get into it but I take that things got really unsafe for awhile after Communism fell. Both moved to the U.S. without knowing English, then learned the language and graduated with 4 yr Accounting degrees. To me, that's levitation, holmes. Drop me in a foreign country and I'd be screwed for sure.

Anyway, one of them told me about this Russian movie that was released that was kind of like the Matrix. I think I was yakking about it in a meeting or something. So, a couple of weeks ago I downloaded this movie to my Iphone, so I could watch it on an airplane. I was expecting a good plotline, with really, really awful SFX. In my head I pictured Ed Wood type stuff, with visible strings and whatnot.

Well, of course I'm jackass Westerner, assuming that everywhere else in the world is running on swamp coolers and diesel. NIGHT WATCH was the name of the movie, and it's the best Sci Fi/Action film I've seen since The Matrix. Apparently it's the film version of a very popular Russian comic book - and it's a trilogy. Day Watch is the second installment. They are working on part 3 right now.

Anyway - if you like Sci Fi/Action films and can deal with subtitles, check it out. It's really good stuff.

Part one - Night Watch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_W...282004_film%29

Part two - Day Watch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Watch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes they were fantastic!!!!!

I highly recommend them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-25-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Ive heard of these. Need to see them

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

They're based on a novel series. My wife has read the first two books. The movie Night Watch is based on about the first third of the book Night Watch with some changes, and the movie Day Watch is kind of mixed from the remaining parts of Night Watch (novel) and Day Watch (novel) as well as just being kind of made up from whole cloth and "where did that even come from?". There is at least one other book in the series, called Twilight Watch. (The "gloom", as translated in the movie, is translated as "twilight" in the books.)

The most obvious changes in Night Watch is that the kid is not related to Anton in the book, and he remains unaffiliated with either side (although he works with Dark others more often than Light). Also, a lot was cut for the US release for some reason.

They give the impression that Boris Ivanovich and Zabulon are the leaders of the whole light and dark sides in the movie Night Watch, but they at least kind of mitigate that in the second movie by having the Inquisition show up and show that those guys aren't all-powerful. They're really nothing more than mid-level managers of their particular territory.

From what I've been told about it, the light and dark others seem to be less good and evil and more law and chaos. Light others are typically lawful good to lawful neutral, while dark others are chaotic evil to chaotic neutral. Anton doesn't really fit into the world, as he's Light but acts chaotic good.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Last edited by Buford; 07-25-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
They're based on a novel series. My wife has read the first two books. The movie Night Watch is based on about the first third of the book Night Watch with some changes, and the movie Day Watch is kind of mixed from the remaining parts of Night Watch (novel) and Day Watch (novel). There is at least one other book in the series, called Twilight Watch. (The "gloom", as translated in the movie, is translated as "twilight" in the books.)

The most obvvios changes in Night Watch is that the kid is not related to Anton in the book, and he remains unaffiliated with either side (although he works with Dark others more often than Light). Also, a lot was cut for the US release for some reason.

They give the impression that Boris Ivanovich and Zabulon are the leaders of the whole light and dark sides in the movie Night Watch, but they at least kind of mitigate that in the second movie by having the Inquisition show up and show that those guys aren't all-powerful. They're really nothing more than mid-level managers of their particular territory.

From what I've been told about it, the light and dark others seem to be less good and evil and more law and chaos. Light others are typically lawful good to lawful neutral, whjile dark others are chaotic evil to chaotic neutral. Anton doesn't really fit into the world, as he's Light but acts chaotic good.
I've seen the books in stores....are they translated from Russian?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So you work with these Russian girls... and that's the best you can do? Talk to them about movies and books. You should be ashamed.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've seen the books in stores....are they translated from Russian?
Yes.

padding text to beat the 10 character lower limit

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No Zombies = Fail.

I'm waiting for WWZ. Brad Pitt is producing it.

Oh, and if you guys haven't read the graphic novel series "The Walking Dead", you are useless to humanity.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are the movies subtitled? or do they have an english sountrack?

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
So you work with these Russian girls... and that's the best you can do? Talk to them about movies and books. You should be ashamed.
Let's see how some creative editing will work...(dots indicate removed words, bold indicates added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
So, I work with these Russian girls.... This story does...end how you are imagine it to.

They...way... make out ...all the time.... They... really get into it...Both moved to the U.S. ...To...screw for sure.

Anyway, one of them ...in a meeting...told me... a couple of weeks ago I ... could watch ... I was expecting ... real...SEX. I... h...ad... Wood..., ...visible ...and whatnot.

Well, of course I'm jackass Wuss...everywhere else in the world is ... cooler ... it's the best Sex I've had since...Mat..the... very popular Russian... and ...W...e...are working on...a...3some right now.

way - if you like...can deal with...chicks...It's really good stuff...that's levitation, holmes.
How's this????

(My apologies to Blacklab for implying he had a thing with "mat the very popular russian" but there wasn't a lot I could do with that paragraph.)

Last edited by Revvy; 07-25-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply