*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Is there a book "All Grain brewing for Dummies"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Oakwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is there a book "All Grain brewing for Dummies"?

The title about says it all. I have been brewing now for a year with kits and have made 4 of my own style beers which I still make now and store till season (3 months conditioning). What I want to know is there a book or some thing online that will tell me what I need and how to make the transition from extract to all grain brewing? I just want to make that next step.

Secondary - ll: Empty
Kegged:
#1 - American Wheat
#2 - Empty
#3 - Empty
Planned: River Horse Summer Blonde Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing and/or Palmer's How To Brew are both very straightforward and you don't need to be an expert to understand it. It's not a "...for Dummies" or "Idiot's Guide to...", but if you know how to extract brew, AG isn't a huge step in terms of difficulty. Just a few more variables and steps, but you don't need a dummies book for that.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Oakwood
Recipes 

I think you answered my question, I have one of those, but used it more for referance then a true read. Guess I will spend some time really reading over it in the next few days.

Secondary - ll: Empty
Kegged:
#1 - American Wheat
#2 - Empty
#3 - Empty
Planned: River Horse Summer Blonde Ale

Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Forget Papazian. Papazian's the father of the homebrewing movement, but his book is dated and much less practical. Drop the $15 for the latest edition of "How To Brew." It's simple, and will teach you everything you need to know about the AG process, how to build the equipment, everything you need.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

"How to Brew" is great...but there IS also a "Homebrewing for Dummies" which is underrated and not mentioned nearly enough on this forum. IMHO, it'll give you everything you need. You can also check out the "Wiki" here at HBT....it'll probably give you all the info you need, and then some.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
"How to Brew" is great...but there IS also a "Homebrewing for Dummies" which is underrated and not mentioned nearly enough on this forum. IMHO, it'll give you everything you need. You can also check out the "Wiki" here at HBT....it'll probably give you all the info you need, and then some.

I have the Homebrewing For Dummies book, I bought it before brewing my first batch. It's not terrible, but you outgrow it quickly and it has very little on AG brewing. Palmer's just as user-friendly, and you'll keep referring to it essentially forever.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 for the latest edition of Palmer's book. Despite a lot of typographical errors (the publishing was horrible), it is the only comprehensive and current homebrewing book out there. John has even updated the book with details on batch sparging, cooler MLT conversion, SS braids, etc. He also does the best job of explaining mashing, temps, pH, water, etc., IMHO. I have a copy of CP's book, too, and it is a good book.

I have read the 'For Dummies' homebrewing book and wasn't nearly as impressed. I also found it to be lacking on the AG side (need a more advanced book for that), and I also found some factual errors/bad advice in it (can't remember what they were off the top of my head - sorry). I wouldn't recommend that one highly.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I love the Palmer book - I still look up stuff in there every once in a while. It's a great resource at any stage in the game.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I don't know anything about it, but this came up during my own search for AG info:

Basic Brewing: Stepping into All Grain. It's a DVD, so you can't have it sitting next to you with notes scribbled in the margins when you make your first attempt. On the other hand actually seeing what is involved might be even more helpful.

There is also Advanced All Grain Brewing, another DVD.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Quick Reply