Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > That's what you call encouragement . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
yashicamat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default That's what you call encouragement . . .

I have 3 beers on the go at the moment, but they're all in primaries and have ages to go yet.

Well, temptation got the better of me just now. I have a demijohn with just 4 litres of pale beer in which I threw together to use up some left over ingredients from when I made a starter wort for my liquid yeast, as well as using up an old open bag of hops. So it was crude, just fuggles hops and light DME - nothing else. Well, there's been no airlock activity really for days (bubble maybe every 5 mins at most) so I decided to sneak a tiny sample out (even though it's got a while in the primary and then even longer for conditioning).

Oh boy! Tastes fantastic! Prior to this all my beers have been from kits, but this tastes so much better and complex, despite the simplicity of the recipe! I cannot wait to taste my slightly more complicated recipe involving crystal malt, cascades etc. in the carboy. I will wait until at least racking time before I do that though!

This is so encouraging coming from kit beers.

Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

My last winging it was something like a brown ale and it turned out to be one of my best beers after about three months of aging. I even liked it better than MBC's brown ale!

I usually would never get results like that from winging it. (I mean, just using what I had and taking no measurements or anything)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply