Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Talkin' Some PS3...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Talkin' Some PS3...

I recently bought a PS3, mainly because it was only $400 and it has a Blu-Ray player built in, whereas standalone Blu-Ray players start at about $300. Plus I got a sweet mail-in offer for 5 free Blu-Ray DVD movies with the purchase, and those things are $25-$30 each retail. Anyway, I got Assassin's Creed when I bought the system, but the relative one-dimensionality and repetitiveness of that game led me to go grab Orange Box last night---which is a sweet pack of Valve games, including Portal, Half-Life 2, and HL2 eps 1 & 2, plus a multiplayer Fortress game. I've only played a bit of it so far, but it looks like a LOT of fun---and I haven't even tried Portal yet, which I hear is one of the best games of the year. Heh, all those for $50. Not bad.

So who else has a PS3? What kind of games have you bought? I think COD4-MW is the next purchase, but I can always be convinced otherwise.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Call of Duty 4 online play is awesome

Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've liked most of the games I've tried so far. Mine came with Motorstorm--it kind of blows. Very repetitive.

We of course bought Rock band. It roolz. Finally got to play it quite a bit with 4 players. It was such a blast. You really have to pay attention to the other bandmates during gameplay to make sure they aren't struggling.

COD4 is a great game. I am seriously wavering on purchasing it though. The single player campaign is VERY short. You'll finish it in a few hours. That leaves online play and I tried it for a little while but I suck so bad. I spend most of my time dead. I'm sure with some buddies (clan!) and some practice it could be very fun. Other than that though--I'm strugglign to find very much re-play value for the 60 bones.

I've played some sports titles as well, Madden was lame, and NHL 2K8 has so many buttons and button combos it is a STEEP learning curve. After about 5 games I took it back. It was impossible to score a goal on a one-timer, and for a hockey game I think that is extremely lame. I could only score by sweeping in front of the net and scorign that way. So NOT how goals are scored in hockey.

I love the fact that you can download content right from the PS3. I've bought a few songs for Rock band, downloaded trailers, game demos, etc. Pretty cool.

I even hooked up my bluetooth headset from my cell phone and chatted during an online COD4 game. ROCK ON!

Great purchase so far.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been having fun with GH:III, Time Crisis 4, Motorstorm (Dude, if it's getting repetitive, hop online - it's a blast!) Ratchet and Clank, Pain (serious fun for $9.99!). Can't wait for GT5 Prologue to really put my driving wheel to the test!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Ice9
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

COD4 is one of the best games I've ever played albeit a little short.
I just picked up COD3 for and Resistance: Fall of man for cheap.
I'll probably pick up Tiger Woods 08 and MOH Airborne.

I love the ability to download game demos. And I can set my iMac up as a media server and play videos and music through my PS3/home theater set-up at the other end of the house.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning: Orfy's Boddington's clone, Orfy's Old Speckled Hen clone, SN Celebration clone
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 01-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ive been toying around with the idea of adding a new HDD. I saved a bit of cash and went with the 40 gig. I've found a 250GB for pretty cheap. If I do decide on going with a bigger HDD Ill probably end up installing Linux and getting a wireless keyboard and mouse. I hear Firefox looks pretty good on your HDTV From what I've heard the PS3 is a pretty powerful little machine.

Oh and heres a link for a buy one get one free deal from Amazon for Blu Ray movies. I picked up two this morning for 20 bucks shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...blurayforum-20

Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I can't speak for this game on PS3 as I'm a 360 owner myself, but Assassin's Creed, while really good at first, gets very repetitive, so be warned.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I can't speak for this game on PS3 as I'm a 360 owner myself, but Assassin's Creed, while really good at first, gets very repetitive, so be warned.
Agreed 110%. I was really excited at first because everything seemed so rich and alive. I've come to find out, though, that that rich, vibrant world is little more than a pretty backdrop. You can't talk to most people or even interact with them. You can't open doors to homes, you can't go inside, you can't buy things. You have specific tasks (save citizen, climb viewpoints, pickpocket and eavesdrop) in each city, plus a really stupid side-game where you collect hidden flags. Yip-freakin-ee. Each city has the same tasks...just in different places. The scenery changes, but that's about it. After all the hype surrounding this game, I'm surprised at how quickly it got old. I still really can't believe that the developers created this complex living world, but somehow managed to make 90% of what's going on off-limits to your character. Yes, it's fun to climb buildings and run across rooftops and kill guards with your hidden blade when they're not looking...but that's only fun for a few hours. It's just a shame that so much is wasted as simple backdrop. For chrissakes, GTA III had more interactive elements than this.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
plus a really stupid side-game where you collect hidden flags. Yip-freakin-ee. :
I'm surprised this is even in the PS3 version. The whole reason for the flag collecting on 360 is for achievement points which MS forces developers to put in the game. Unless there is something equivalent for PS3, there is truly no point to the flags at all.

I was bent that a good concept and great eye candy were reduced to doing the same tasks 9 times. It would have been great if the missions had been different or more challenging, but I found that things got easier as the game went along.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I'm surprised this is even in the PS3 version. The whole reason for the flag collecting on 360 is for achievement points which MS forces developers to put in the game. Unless there is something equivalent for PS3, there is truly no point to the flags at all.

I was bent that a good concept and great eye candy were reduced to doing the same tasks 9 times. It would have been great if the missions had been different or more challenging, but I found that things got easier as the game went along.
Yeah, the flags seem a bit...superfluous. And yeah, it does seem to get easier. I never get killed by groups of guards anymore, even if it's 10-1. The rest of them just stand there while I fight one of them.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply