Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Taking a break

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
Born Brewing Co.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alcohol...the cause and solution to all of life's problems.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I'm actually been a little surprised at how quickly the stash has dwindled with just two adults in the house, neither of whom ever drinks more than two beers a night except a couple times a year. We also usually only have a beer maybe three or four nights a week. I figure that one five gallon batch is probably about a months' worth of drinking, not even considering when friends come over to share.

And selling your homebrew? A very strict no-no that I honestly don't believe anyone here would even think about violating.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I'm actually been a little surprised at how quickly the stash has dwindled with just two adults in the house, neither of whom ever drinks more than two beers a night except a couple times a year. We also usually only have a beer maybe three or four nights a week. I figure that one five gallon batch is probably about a months' worth of drinking, not even considering when friends come over to share.

And selling your homebrew? A very strict no-no that I honestly don't believe anyone here would even think about violating.
I didn't mean to imply you guys are drunks. I was not considering more than one person drinking it. As for the selling, I didn't mean sell as much as getting donations to the program. I guess there are probably legal repercusions depending on the answer, just ignore that one.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I'm actually been a little surprised at how quickly the stash has dwindled with just two adults in the house, neither of whom ever drinks more than two beers a night except a couple times a year.
yup. 10 gallons seems like a lot at first, but not when you consider it on a day-to-day basis. If we (wife and I) each drank 2 beers/day (one with dinner @ 6pm and maybe one at 10pm as the day winds down) we would never feel the effects of the alcohol, but could consume 120 pints/month (15 gallons).

It all depends on your drinking habits. Example: if I ONLY drank on Friday nights and I was going through 10 gallons a month, that would be alarming. But since I have a beer (maybe two) every day, 10 gallons is not a big deal. It fact, it's considered pretty HEALTHY.

-walker

Old 07-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
yup. 10 gallons seems like a lot at first, but not when you consider it on a day-to-day basis. If we (wife and I) each drank 2 beers/day (one with dinner @ 6pm and maybe one at 10pm as the day winds down) we would never feel the effects of the alcohol, but could consume 120 pints/month (15 gallons).

It all depends on your drinking habits. Example: if I ONLY drank on Friday nights and I was going through 10 gallons a month, that would be alarming. But since I have a beer (maybe two) every day, 10 gallons is not a big deal. It fact, it's considered pretty HEALTHY.

-walker

cool guys, I'm still new to this so yeah 10 gallons does seem like a lot but as you noted it isn't really.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #16
BeerLuvnGrl
Recipes 

10 gallons only seems like alot to those who DONT homebrew!

i dont drink during the week but im sure every single friday sat and sun to have a homebrew..plus i buy specialty beers to try and figure out what i want to brew next.. just to get a clue..

heck before i started brewing i loved bud light.. now when i drink it im like.. well darn.. that doesnt even taste like a beer..id rather be home having my own!

needless to say.. now that im into it.. im always thinkin of what i can brew next.. im running out of room to put carboys, fermentors, bottles, kegs......

Bottled: Raspberry Overload (wheat)
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale
Bottled: Holiday Cheer (belgian wheat)

Fermentor: Traditional Mead
Fermentor (2): Common Apple Cider
Secondary: Holiday Cider
Secondary (2): Common Apple Cider

Up Next: Heffenweizer

Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

It also depends on what you are brewing & drinking. Two pints of most of my ales is less alcohol than a 12 oz. glass of Black Panther Stout and way less than 8 oz. of 120 IPA.

I also like to take ale to homebrew club meetings.

I freaked my new doctor when he asked how much I drank, told him a pint or two a day.

He's a GenXer and drinks the hard stuff.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #18
SBN
Recipes 

I agree that the one or two a day is pretty harmless and it DOES cause your stock to dwindle quicker than expected. One side effect I'm battling right now - I lost 40+ pounds in 2000 and have kept it off - discovered HB in 01/06 and have gained back 12 - the beer hasn't contributed, but the calories have.......

Skol!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBN
I agree that the one or two a day is pretty harmless and it DOES cause your stock to dwindle quicker than expected. One side effect I'm battling right now - I lost 40+ pounds in 2000 and have kept it off - discovered HB in 01/06 and have gained back 12 - the beer hasn't contributed, but the calories have.......

Skol!
yeah this is where I am at, still trying to be in shape and struggling with the extra calories..

Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #20
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
yeah this is where I am at, still trying to be in shape and struggling with the extra calories..
"round" is a shape.

Quick Reply