Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Taking a break

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Default Taking a break

I'm taking a break from drinking. I've been feeling like hell lately and decided to give the old liver and kidneys a rest for a month. The wife's on board with me and we've agreed to no more booze until our anniversary on 8-16.

Perfect timing too, because the 80/- I bottled will be nicely aged by then and the Franzi will be ready to drink that weekend.

I also think I need to take a break from brewing. I currently have about 5-6 cases bottled and 20 gallons of various brews at various stages. I think I'm just about set for alcohol until Fall. I'll probably brew again when in mid August.

I'll still hang out here, because I don't have a life and I'm lame. But it'll be a while before I have a brew to announce. I'm thinking about getting my AG set up going, so maybe I'll start working on that with all the money I'll save.

By the way, speaking of quitting...

TODAY IS 6 MONTHS WITHOUT A CIGARETTE!!!!!

I've had a couple (4-5) cigars and many drunken rager nights out with my smokaholic friends without urges or temptations.

I"M CURED!!!

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats on the smoking cessation. It's tough. Before quitting for good in April of 2005, I had tried to quit a half dozen times. It's all about desire.

I still have cravings all the time, but it's become so routine I can will them away. Mind over matter

Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I second the congrats. I rarely smoke anything other than an occasional cigar (I've even held off on those for a while now), but I know a lot of people who have struggled with that for years.

It's also really good to know that you can take a break from drinking when you want to. The rule that I have set for myself and always lived by is that I won't have anything to drink if I'm feeling down about something or stressed or anything like that. I don't want to allow myself the opportunity for booze to become a salve or a crutch. Thankfully, I'm a pretty happy, laid-back guy, so it isn't too much of a problem!

In any case, don't be a stranger.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I quit smoking my first time...March 5, 1990. Never looked back.

Drinking...I quit that for 1 year back in 1977...worse year of my life...nah, just kidding.

Sex...forgetaboutit and have a smoke, a drink and a woman...

Congrats.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Congrats on making a decision and sticking to it.

If you get the itch you can always brew a soda. NB sells Sprecher extracts.

Or

You can carbonate some fruit

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm worried about you, Cheese. I don't think it's safe for you to be keeping five or six cases of beer in the house when you're trying to go dry. The first lesson is to avoid tempation. Now, I know this might be tough, but I think it's important that you pack up those six cases of beer and ship them off to other members of this board for, ahem, "safekeeping." Best to keep the tempation away from you, my friend - this is for your own good!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is perfect timing, As I'm reading through the forum and seeing some of the setups I wonder how much you guys drink. I mean it sounds like most of you have a batch in primary and secondary all the time. So you're getting somewhere around 10 gallons of beer a month if not more. Do you guys sell it?

Sorry for the curiousity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I'm taking a break from drinking. I've been feeling like hell lately and decided to give the old liver and kidneys a rest for a month. The wife's on board with me and we've agreed to no more booze until our anniversary on 8-16.

Perfect timing too, because the 80/- I bottled will be nicely aged by then and the Franzi will be ready to drink that weekend.

I also think I need to take a break from brewing. I currently have about 5-6 cases bottled and 20 gallons of various brews at various stages. I think I'm just about set for alcohol until Fall. I'll probably brew again when in mid August.

I'll still hang out here, because I don't have a life and I'm lame. But it'll be a while before I have a brew to announce. I'm thinking about getting my AG set up going, so maybe I'll start working on that with all the money I'll save.

By the way, speaking of quitting...

TODAY IS 6 MONTHS WITHOUT A CIGARETTE!!!!!

I've had a couple (4-5) cigars and many drunken rager nights out with my smokaholic friends without urges or temptations.

I"M CURED!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

News flash: stocks across the board for the alcohol beverage industry are falling through the basement. Reports indicate a projection of a major drop in consumption in the greater Chicago area that will result in record loses. Who says one man has no power?

Old 07-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
This is perfect timing, As I'm reading through the forum and seeing some of the setups I wonder how much you guys drink. I mean it sounds like most of you have a batch in primary and secondary all the time. So you're getting somewhere around 10 gallons of beer a month if not more. Do you guys sell it?

Sorry for the curiousity.
I usually brew about 10 gallons a month. That's 80 pints/month. Two adults in the house, each having 1 beer with dinner every day will drain away 60 of those/month. Occasionally, I'll have a second beer late in at night or put down a couple playing cards or fishing on the weekend.

My wife and I can easily consume 10 gallons a month and never once "put a buzz on".

Not to mention, I tend to give away a 6'er (or more) of beers to friends from each batch. If I brew 15 gallons/month then I can start stock-piling it for those times when I'm so busy with work that I can't brew.

-walker

edit: in terms of quantities consumed, the beverage preference list in my house is (most to least):

iced tea (we've got a glass of this all the time)
water (when you're really thirsty)
beer (with dinner every day + other times)
milk (the kids)
juice (the kids + adults for weekend breakfast)
wine (my wife with dinner + other times)
coffee (every morning, 2 cups)
soda (me, when I want caffiene but not coffee)

Quick Reply