Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Summer Vacation: Edinburgh, Dublin or Berlin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Summer Vacation: Edinburgh, Dublin or Berlin?

Need some help here... this summer my wife and I are going from NYC to London to visit some friends (they are also beer fanatics so that's one fabulous piss-up!)

From there, we want to go to another city/town to supplement the trip. So between Edinburgh, Dublin or Berlin, which would you suggest? Of course, it needs to have fabulous pubs/micropubs. But should also have enough contrast so it's not too one-dimensional.

Edinburgh is the most convenient. But I've always wanted to go to Berlin. And I've never been to Dublin either... what say you my bros?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Lived in Edinburgh for a year. Loved it. I can direct you to the good pubs. Plus if you go in August it is festival time in Edinburgh.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Edinburgh. Do it. You will not regret it. I promise. (And I'm jealous. I've been there twice, but not since 2007.)

There's a place in old Edinburgh called the Grassmarket. All of the oldest pubs are there right in a row. I could spend days and days there.

There's a modern hotel there on the opposite side of the street called the Apex...you can probably find a pretty decent deal if you look around on the 'net.

Take the Literary Pub Tour. Last time I was there, it left from the White Hart Inn (at the end of the Grassmarket).

Edit: Oh, hey, I found a pic.

Last edited by Rick500; 05-20-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on go'in ta Ed'nburah. Ben Franklin used to hang there with the political and historical hommies and down a few pints and shoot the shyt.
One day I'll get there my self, ya lucky bastad.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I would think no matter where you decide to 'stay', you can easily visit the other two. Plane flights in many situations are not only cheaper but faster. Have fun!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
fastricky

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You guys ROCK!! Edinburgh was my wifes choice so points there...

Those places you guys outlined look killer - looks like that'll be the choice. And yeah, the Festival is good timing as we'll be there at that time.

Unless there's any impassioned votes for the other venues, looks like we got a winner. We'll only have enough time to visit London and one other place, so jetting over to a 3rd city isn't possible. What's nice about Edinburgh too is we can stop in a small town en route for a night (York? Any thoughts there?)

CHEERS again!!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
norn_irn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how are you travelling up??? car or train??? also when your in london make sure you get an oyster card its for the subway, makes your journey far cheeper

Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
phillc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for Edinburgh. I was in Scotland on business awhile back and took an extra day to spend there. Very awesome. Found a pub for a pint and enjoyed some bangers and mash with a be-kilted gentleman outside the window playing the bagpipes. Sweet.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
phillc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillc View Post
+1 for Edinburgh. I was in Scotland on business awhile back and took an extra day to spend there. Very awesome. Found a pub for a pint and enjoyed some bangers and mash with a be-kilted gentleman outside the window playing the bagpipes. Sweet.
Side note: While I was there EVERYONE told me that I needed to visit Glasgow and that it was and even better experience than Edinburgh. I also spent time in Aberdeen which was pretty ok. The shipping port is pretty cool. Enjoyed some haggis with a pint of Tennants at the local hotel.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I've never been to any of those places, but if it were me, I would want to try Edinburgh too.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Quick Reply