Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Suggestions for winter boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 220 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Koflach Arctic Expe's. Hands down the best boots I've owned. They look like they would be very uncomfortable but on the contrary, they are quite comfortabe. You can hike in them, they work well with crampons (technical or regular) and you can ski in them (although not well, they are neither fish nor fowl, tele or downhill.) Warm as toast, tough as nails and the liners dry out in your sleeping bag overnight. Spent a week below zero in them a few years ago and never once got cold feet.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/koflach/arctis-expe/

A little pricey but if you are spending a lot of time outside in the cold you'll be glad you dropped the coin.

PTN

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Last edited by paulthenurse; 11-19-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #22
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Well I ended up going with appearance more than I thought I would have. Many/most of the boots I saw just didn't look very good and since this is just for walking around town and around the restaurants/shops at the slopes I didn't think I'd need some uber-winter boot.

So I just went with these Timberland leather boots. They were $89 at DSW. They are quite comfortable and worked well.

Slopes were decent (Keystone), not enough natural snow but for an inexperienced skier like me they were fine. Sucks when you have your rental skis stolen 10 minutes after renting them. They charged me $506 for those well-used, rental skis. Luckily they found them a week later and I got the money back.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #23
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Honestly if you're just going to be walking around, and going from indoor place to indoor place, get a pair of merrells. I have a pair of goretex insulated ones that cost me all of $89. Basically they're cross trainers with some insulation. I love them for everyday wear. Right now I'm in Chicago where it's 11 degrees, and my feet stay warm with normal socks on my 1/2 hour walk to work.

They're light enough to wear for a 16 hour work day and they don't kill my feet, either.

If you're going to be out in the snow for a few hours, standing in one place, the Merrells aren't exactly the best thing. Get a real pair of boots I've had Danner, Red Wings, and Rockys and have liked them all.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #24
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Every add in this thread is for outerwear. Google has been reading our forum.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply