The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Which subwoofer would you get?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This is what I have, but they have redesigned it since I got it, now it looks like the port fire down, mine shoot out the back where the amp is and mine is 550w, looks like this one is 500w, still freaking powerful and a house shaker. I was lucky and got mine before the price raise, plus if you buy three or more speakers they give you 15% off.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=618

We had a friend staying at the house one time. She was in the back room on the opposite side of the house (70ft away), we were watching a movie and I had the sub on levels I though were appropriate considering there was someone sleeping in the house. Well she woke up the next morning and said that the sub was shaking the window in here room and it sounded like there was a helicopter landing on our roof. I smiled

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

...whatever happened to the days of concrete pipes with large speakers atop of them?
They were fun!

Reminds me of the time a buddy had nearly all the residents in a large dorm, a concrete structure, to play the same record, in synch,, at high volume,,, the concrete was carrying the sound all the way across and up, funny stuff.

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3093 Times on 3015 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears View Post
...whatever happened to the days of concrete pipes with large speakers atop of them?
They were fun!

Reminds me of the time a buddy had nearly all the residents in a large dorm, a concrete structure, to play the same record, in synch,, at high volume,,, the concrete was carrying the sound all the way across and up, funny stuff.
SonoSubs are the next step. Using the tubes originally designed for concrete forms to provide the structure for truly huge thump in home theater audio.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #24
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
SonoSubs are the next step. Using the tubes originally designed for concrete forms to provide the structure for truly huge thump in home theater audio.
Yep, I hear, not literally though, that they put out a great sound. My choice was between a SVS cylinder sub, HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html) and Elemental Designs and ended up going with the later and couldn't be happier.

For anyone with time and want to read lots of info on subs and some of the best ones in prep of buying one or just out of curiosity, check this out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150

Craig rate my sub at a 96, so I am not sure why it is not in the list anymore.

Quote:
The eD A5-350 is an amazing value. Yes, it is ugly. I even think it is ugly. But it delivers a deep an palpable bass, and is terrific on music. It loses a bit of musicality in the 40-80 Hz arena to subs like the PB-13 Ultra, but overall, it is quite listenable.

The Score ? ... Home Theater 50 ... Music 46, for a total of 96
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Last edited by humann_brewing; 12-10-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That spec sheet doesn't list how loud each sub gets or the driver sensitivity. The 15" probably gets a lot louder for the same amount of power. I'd go with the 15.

And for the people criticizing those subs because of the paper cones - what are you guys smoking? Paper is super light and super strong and is still used in ultra high end drivers because it works so well.

I'm a Hi Fi nut - and personally use home built proac 25 clones for my stereo setup . . but for my home theater I still use my old Cerwin Vega VS12's from college and they are fantastic home theater speakers.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #26
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
I am amazed how they stay in business selling 2 or 3 components a year. Oh, that's cause their dealers are the only ones buying the gear.
ATI owns Theta now and it's really gone down hill. But, yeah, not everyone can drop $30,000 on their D-to-A.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
NoVa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
This is what I have, but they have redesigned it since I got it, now it looks like the port fire down, mine shoot out the back where the amp is and mine is 550w, looks like this one is 500w, still freaking powerful and a house shaker. I was lucky and got mine before the price raise, plus if you buy three or more speakers they give you 15% off.
+1 to Elemental Designs. I have their A5-350 and it creates a great compliment to my home theater. There are other great sub companies like SVS, HSU, and AV123. For inexpensive subs, I remember looking at a BIC subwoofer that should fit your price range.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #28
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How much are you willing to spend? FYI: Subs don't have to be the same brand as your other speakers, that's mainly important for the front 3 speakers. If you have the cash, check out a JL Audio Fathom f113

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #29
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

would like to get it for $300 But will go to 5 if really necessary. I'm a big fan of good audio doesn't have to cost alot. Hence why no reciever(sure i will need one someday). But the most expensive thing i bought so far was my SX1800 PA to drive the LS12's. I also have a Buttkicker LFE shaker. So the sub is supplimental i guess

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #30
mattmcl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hell, you brew your own beer, why not build your own sub? Head over to www.diyaudio.com. I've built several speakers, including a sub, and am getting into building components. It's a blast.

Quick Reply