Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Strange times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
ndsgr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Hopefully next year, I'll be moving to a more garden friendly home and climate. I would love to grow more foods. Right now, I only have rosemary and it's awesome just to pick some and smell it. I was going to grow hops, but don't have a place for them.

I think the "organic" movement is hilarious though. My dad is a organic food type. He assumed organic foods were locally grown, pesticide free and fresher than "non-organics". I did a little research and found that a carrot he bought was grown in China and did use pesticides. The non-organic carrots next to them where grown in NY, if I remember correctly. By the way, the "organic" carrots where 3x the price.

I dig whole foods for the selection and that they have an awesome salad bar. I don't care for their prices or the general "smugness" when I shop there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

Unfortunately, I wish this were true. 99% of people out there aren't going to go through the effort to join a CSA, or seek out farms that raise beef in pastures. People who have no concept of seasonality of food. People who are perfectly content eating convenient mass produced processed foods

Its really a shame that the bigger Organic style grocery stores are really nothing more than outlets for big industrial organic products. Some are just as processed as their non organic counterpart. I'm not a fan of organic for the sake of being organic. Whole Foods seems like a place for smug 30 year old moms to think they are doing so much better buying organic. Little do they know the "organic peaches" were really imported from Argentina and are overall probably worse for the environment than non organic peaches at a normal supermarket which were probably grown in Florida, SC, or Georgia (or CA depending on which side of the country you are on).

I buy as much local food as I can. I get butter and cheese from a local creamery. Fruits and veggies from local farms. Grass fed beef, pasteured chickens etc. None of these have official organic licensing from the government, but I've talked with the growers and farmers. I generally know how they raise their food, and trust them to deliver a great product to me.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1873 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehillbrewer View Post
Funny, I still find a good Steak & Mashed Potatoes to be gourmet enough.
I'm simple man with simple desires. Steak and potatoes is one of the best things ever.

My Instagram

Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
I'm simple man with simple desires. Steak and potatoes is one of the best things ever.
Steak from a local grass fed cow

Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Steak from a local grass fed cow
I'll reference my dad again. He always brings us steaks from his local "custom meat" store where he lives. All their meat is grass fed, organic, local (to him) and is massaged with rainbows and lives with unicorns. I can't tell the difference. In fact, Costco meat tasted the same or better and is about 1/3 the price. We even did a blind taste test at an spontaneous BBQ we had. None of the guests could tell.

He simply talks about the "hormones" and antibiotics, but all his "research" ends up with a "nutritionist" (read: internet degree) spewing their religion all over. His best argument is always something about girls going into puberty faster. But the same phenomenon is happening in the UK and they don't use those "toxins".

If I am going to pay 3x what I would otherwise, I need something better than "toxins" in the argument.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
I'll reference my dad again. He always brings us steaks from his local "custom meat" store where he lives. All their meat is grass fed, organic, local (to him) and is massaged with rainbows and lives with unicorns. I can't tell the difference. In fact, Costco meat tasted the same or better and is about 1/3 the price. We even did a blind taste test at an spontaneous BBQ we had. None of the guests could tell.

He simply talks about the "hormones" and antibiotics, but all his "research" ends up with a "nutritionist" (read: internet degree) spewing their religion all over. His best argument is always something about girls going into puberty faster. But the same phenomenon is happening in the UK and they don't use those "toxins".

If I am going to pay 3x what I would otherwise, I need something better than "toxins" in the argument.
I have just the opposite experience with our local beef. We have been buying from a local guy for the last few years. I can tell right away the difference with grocery store meat. I used to always marinate my steaks there is no need with the meat we get now.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If I had the money I would be shopping at Central Market but I'm too poor to be a trendy hipster foodie. I definitely feel the urge and need to get away from processed food though.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4647 Times on 4549 Posts
Likes Given: 2278

Now that we have hijacked to talk about yuppie meat, I figure I should chime in about now. I buy sides of bison. BEST MEAT AROUND. Have to cook it medium rare and carefully not to overdo it, but in tacos, fajitas, a porterhouse, lasagna, chili, etc, you just cannot beat it. Lower in fat and cholesterol than boneless skinless chicken breast, higher in omega fats and iron than any of the major commercial meats. It is the perfect meat, IMO.

Got a side of bison (225 pounds) for $3 a pound butchered, packaged, and flash frozen.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Randar do you ground your own Bison or is part of that butchering grounding? Also how many cuft of a freezer does that 225 lbs take up?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
His best argument is always something about girls going into puberty faster.
Your dad is really drinking the hippie Kool-Aid. Keep him away from the China Study.

The reason that girls go into puberty sooner has nothing to do with hormones in food; is because they are FATTER and exercise less than ever before. Both are key factors in the onset of puberty in females.

Has he ever see a Olympic gymnast? Many of them do not enter puberty until adulthood due to the factors of low body fat and physical activity.

Quick Reply