Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Strange Grilling Techniques...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1106

I fry frozen burgers sometimes. We keep them on hand because we don't always have fresh meat on hand. I've never had a bad frozen burger. I've had plenty that weren't "Great", but they almost always been tender and juicy. Except when a friend of mine ordered his burger well cooked, all the way through.... yuck...

Just heat the grill up for a fee minutes and brush it off. Wipe with oil or butter if you want it nonstick. I usually just slide the spatula under the burger a moment after it hits and loosen it up a bit.

And NEVER stab sausages! My wife cooks them boiled and stabbed. And they are soo dry and chewy I pass on them completely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
MirImage
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited Visibility View Post
If you want to be a gg griller you need to be able to know when meat is cooked to your liking or type by touch of the meat
I know the "finger to thumb" test for steaks is that the same for chicken?

For those who don't know what I am talking about Finger to Thumb test: Hold Thumb to pinky and feel the muscle on the base of your thumb on the inside of your hand... that is well. Thumb to ring finger medium, Thumb to middle finger Med-Rare and thumb to index rare.

Probably not the most accurate but works well enough for me

Fermenting: malbec, Chocolate Raspberry Porter
Bottled: Ridgeback Red, Apfelwein, Blackberry Wheat
Kegged: Millennium Falcon IPA, Blackberry Wheat, Black Crack Imperial Stout
Coming: kiwi/prickle pear mead

Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #23
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Not a technique, exactly...
I had a lizard jump onto my hot grill while I was cooking burgers. He stuck instantly and, when I tried to knock him off with my grill spatula, he rolled right out of his skin (which was absolutely stuck and frying at this point).

Burgers turned out great BTW.

Happy 4th everyone.
Did anyone taste the lizard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
My buddy's g/f always buys frozen hamburger patties when she has a Q. Even properly thawed they make shvtty burgers.
My wife seems to think the only way to get burgers is frozen or prepackaged. She was amazed when I bought a lb of beef one night and my the best bet burgers we'd had in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirImage View Post
I know the "finger to thumb" test for steaks is that the same for chicken?

For those who don't know what I am talking about Finger to Thumb test: Hold Thumb to pinky and feel the muscle on the base of your thumb on the inside of your hand... that is well. Thumb to ring finger medium, Thumb to middle finger Med-Rare and thumb to index rare.

Probably not the most accurate but works well enough for me
Don't understand how that can be consistent at all. I have boney hands. I can guarantee a fat guy would have much "squishier" hands. What wrong with a meat thermometer?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is absolutely nothing wrong with boiling ribs. If they are tough they are not done. It isn't from boiling.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #25
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I was always told to only flip burgers/steaks once but I'm beginning to think that's a bunch of hooey.

IME, it's difficult to get most grills too hot for anything but really thick steaks (for med-rare that is). I always let the steak sit out at room temp for a while before cooking and doing that plus an uber-hot grill (plus salt mentioned below) gets great crust and perfect, uniform doneness inside. Not more rare as you get nearer the center but uniform perfection all the way through, just inside the crust.

Salting beforehand or no? I think so, kosher salt a little bit beforehand draws a little protein-rich moisture from the meat to the surface which helps in creating a great crust. For me, a good steak needs nothing more than kosher salt and then some fresh, ground black pepper as it comes of the grill. I would never marinate a good steak.

For me, a really hot griddle or cast-iron skillet is the better than the grill but it's all good.

The 'finger-to-thumb' is just an example. If you're cooking a 2" thick filet mignon it's gonna feel very different than a 1" thick NY Strip. So use that guide at your own risk (with a grain of salt, etc.). Just always feel your meat and after a while you can just tell.

EDIT: and it's tongs/spatula only at the grill. No forks!

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with boiling ribs. If they are tough they are not done. It isn't from boiling.
+1 to this....boiling is a wet cooking method and is good for breaking down connective tissue which ribs are full of. Those those who have had dry, chewy ribs after boiling I'm guessing because they were over-grilled, not over-boiled.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #27
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
and it's tongs/spatula only at the grill. No forks!
Amen to that! In addition to the tongs, I have a rather large sugar cane knife that I sharpened along the top edge (for ease of flipping burgers) I use it for almost everything, great for moving briskets around on the smoker too! the hook is also good for moving the diffuser plates and grates around on my smoker.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Quick Reply