Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Starting a University Homebrew Club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #11
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

there's also a dude who started one at iowa state, i think he started a thread on here. scroll down past the end of the thread/quick reply area of the page and you will see similar threads to the one you started here, the ohio u one is at the top of the list.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
gdenmark
Recipes 

I feel that the local breweries here would really do a great job of helping me present my case. There are so many aspects to the idea of brewing beer such as engineering, science, creativity, art (labels, names, etc...), and just overall the general knowledge gained of the brewing process. My only problem is just the start. I think I really need to start writing things out and start talking to the brewers and maybe ask for their help as well. I do not want to approach the university until I am ready and have a legitimate presentation and proposal written out. Any feedback and advice will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I would love to help in any way I can. The real key is to make a professional and "grown up" presentation. The old nervous types in the U will think you just want to make hooch and get drunk. You have to sell it as a legitimate activity of responsible people.

Get some legitimate people to advocate for you. Local brewers, marketing people (if you want to bring that aspect into it), faculty, etc. Dress nice to meetings, and write your forms out well.

I can help with writeups etc. if you want. PM me and we can swap email addresses.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #13
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am so jealous, I wish I could do something like this. In fact, I have already thought about it. But I would find myself in federal pound-me-in-the-a$$ prison if I tried to do that at my University. The closest I could get would be maybe a Beer connisseur club, but I wouldn't have time to manage that in between class, shotgun sports club, and German club. Although I have found time to join the 100 Beer club at the local Mellow Mushroom (looking forward to my 20oz personalized Imperial pint glass for the price of a 16oz'er).

I took up nuclear physics instead.
Broom Closet Brews

Primary: Empty :(

Clearing Apfelwein

Bottled: Apfelwein mit Pfirschen, Mild w/orange&chocolate

R.I.P. Bareknuckle Brown, Witzbold Weizen

Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
PirateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know at my alma mater, Johnson & Wales University (in Providence, RI), there is an official club recognized by the university called JBrew (a funny take on JWU). I'm not sure how it got started but I do know that JWU is a well known culinary school so I'm sure that helped. We even had/have classes for people who wanted to become a sommelier and other classes such as beverage appreciation.

I know the club itself does have some commercial grade equipment in one of the university buildings. They also do things such as tour breweries, have guest lectures (Sam from DFH actually came to speak at the school and held a private tasting), and have group brew sessions. I'm just guess it will just come down to the school itself. I know JWU is actually a dry campus but they saw brewing as an art and a potential career path for culinary students so they found it to be an appropriate club. I hope this helps some! Best of luck!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
austindp91
Recipes 

I am starting one up at CSU Pueblo Now. I know it has been about two years since the last response, but I thought I would let those who read it now and later. We have gain acceptance as a club and we are a dry campus as well. We have also limited the membership to 21+. I am about to as for start up funds at the college and see if I can get a bunch of money. We are also planning on going to a few breweries, wineries and distilleries.

Quick Reply