Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Star Wars VII

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #101
dudius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
The more I'm reading about this the more I'm thinking it's a good thing. Still would have preferred a sale to someone other than Disney, but as long as Lucas's role is minimized, it's only gonna help.

I'll have to check that documentary out.
I find it humorous that I started picking out people who were angry yet had no right to be angry. And then I watched the documentary and you see even more people who are angry but they shouldn't be.

Here's something I don't get. Maybe it's because the remastered tapes of Star Wars 4-6 were released the year I turned 6. But people watched Star Wars and wanted more of the same stuff. George Lucas claimed he released an unfinished product and was able to realize his dream for those films with the remaster. People bitched and moaned. So he gave them more Star Wars, new Star Wars. And people weren't happy about that either.

Yes, there are reasons the movies were very different. My guess is Lucas was much older and wasn't as young and inspired as he was in the past.You can also consider that true artists don't create for others but for themselves and The People decide whether it is a commercial success or not. Lucas made the movies he wanted to make. It was good enough circa 1980, why wasn't it good enough in the 2000's?

I've always been a strong fan of the franchise. I was in elementary school still when I saw Episode 1 and I enjoyed it, though I no longer enjoy it. I saw Episode 2 in theaters maybe 4 times and loved it. I still think that, on the whole, it was well made. And then when Episode 3 came along I saw that in theaters and thought it almost redeemed the "malicious destruction to Star Wars" that apparently happened in Episode 1.

And now people are butthurt that Lucas sold out to Disney and say that the franchise will be even more disgraced by Disney's milking of series such as Pirates of the Caribbean. But they're the same people who wanted more Star Wars before their disenchantment with Episode 1.

To wrap this up, I'd say the self-proclaimed nerds who love Star Wars by hating on it are worse than George Lucas. To those of us who love Star Wars and show it by supporting what we like rather than bashing what we don't, cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #102
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Minor detail but I gotta mention it. I saw my first Star Wars movie in 1980. Empire. Every Star Wars movie I've ever seen starts with a black screen and blue text reading "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ..."

Immediately before that, there's the 20th Century Fox thing with the drums and the trumpets. They're gonna ditch that. We're going to start with the Disney castle and Walt's signature. Like I said, it's a minor detail, but it'll be a little jarring.
damn. I never thought about that. That whole sequence is part of my life. I owned The Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack as a kid and listened to it often so the 20th Century Fox Fanfare is ingrained in my mind.

Maybe I'll have to carry a small speaker into the theater and play the fanfare just before the movie starts...

Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #103
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I think it's a good thing, myself. Disney is one of the few movie companies with enough money to buy the franchise, and to make something good of it. Disney is less likely than most to just milk the franchise by making some crap. Disney won't let M Night Shyamalan near the thing. And Lucas wasn't ever going to make any more Star Wars films unless he just ran out of money. Howard the Duck anyone?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #104
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Doctor Who would sort out all this trouble in that galaxy far far away and still be home in time for tea and crumpets. Just sayin'

Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #105
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Star Wars is kinda like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

So, I just don't see how more Star Wars could be a bad thing.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #106
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm excited, especially since it sounds like they are going to go with Lucas' storyline. He isn't much for writing IMO; but, his big picture ideas are what made Star Wars. I also really like stuff like the Timothy Zahn series as I noted earlier...but, just doesn't sound like its going to go that direction.

I'm trying to figure out why people hate Disney so much, as if some other multi-billion dollar entertainment business is somehow any different.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #107
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Star Wars is kinda like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Well, yeah, we're talking an entire shift of expectations here. It's about what could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
I'm excited, especially since it sounds like they are going to go with Lucas' storyline. He isn't much for writing IMO; but, his big picture ideas are what made Star Wars. I also really like stuff like the Timothy Zahn series as I noted earlier...but, just doesn't sound like its going to go that direction.

I'm trying to figure out why people hate Disney so much, as if some other multi-billion dollar entertainment business is somehow any different.
Disney has some of the best connections in the world. I think it's an exciting time for the SW galaxy. Anything can happen. They aren't locked in to an existing future like the prequels, and they know what fans like and what they don't. Kids still like kick ass toys, even if they don't understand the politics or meaning behind each character. Young kids loved Luke for his youthful outlook. They loved Darth Vader because he's bad ass. They loved Darth Maul for the same reason. (Too bad he died too early in the prequels...)

Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #108
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lets put this into perspective... I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT FOR the web comic spoof based on THE NEW STAR WARS MOVIE!

Lets get this rolling!

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #109
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post

i don't know about you - but I have had some baaaad motherf__king pizza...
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #110
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
i don't know about you - but I have had some baaaad motherf__king pizza...
Hahaha, yeah....good point. Hyperbole, I guess.

Quick Reply