Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A Song of Ice and Fire (A Dance with Dragons)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
inhousebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default A Song of Ice and Fire (A Dance with Dragons)

Just curious as to whether or not there are any fantasy nerds or people drawn in by HBOs Game of Thrones out there on this forum. Just finished the final book and am craving someone to talk to about it. Very angry at some things that transpired near the end and not ready to admit that I won't have anything in front of me for at best a few more years.

Edit: Let's keep things vague in here in terms of what has/has not happened yet for the sake of people who are not caught up. I don't want to be that guy that gave something away like when I read about Ned's fate prior to watching it on the TV show....

I hate Walder Frey...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm halfway done with A Dance With Dragons...so no spoilers. Lets see, where am I at exactly, Jon Snow just took new recruits to the forest to become sworn brothers and they ended up coming back with a giant.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes please no spoilers!!

Although I have watched the HBO series in it's entirety and have epub versions of all three books I have not had a chance to start them. I have a bunch of paper to read before I start in on my digital stuff.

As a sideline and for those that have watched the series and read the books, how far did HBO deviate from what Martin wrote?

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoov View Post
Yes please no spoilers!!

Although I have watched the HBO series in it's entirety and have epub versions of all three books I have not had a chance to start them. I have a bunch of paper to read before I start in on my digital stuff.

As a sideline and for those that have watched the series and read the books, how far did HBO deviate from what Martin wrote?
Well, as far as no spoilers...we are talking about book 5 of the series.

As far as the show is concerned, I have only watched season one as that is what is available on Netflix. So far I would say it is probably one of the best book to film adaptations I have seen, they stay extremely close to the story line...minor changes like making the Daenarys older than 12 for obvious reasons...but, pretty close IMO.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Ah the giant is pretty awesome. Well, all the giants are pretty awesome IMO but Wun Wun provides an interesting addition to Castle Black.
What do you think of the book so far? For me everything has seemed slightly downhill and drawn out (although still good) since A Storm of Swords. But then again it is hard to top what was the s***storm of action and death that happened in that book. I feel like Martin's been laying the groundwork to another book like that for the last three books.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sumbitch!! Now that I look at my e-reader I actually have 4 of the 6 currently available books. Maybe I better change tacks so I can participate intelligibly in this discussion. PAPER BE DAMNED!! Thanks Bensiff for upsetting my current balance.

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, there really does seem to be a lot of filler material going on. It also seems like things are getting spread too thin with too many characters. Hell the last two books all take place in the same timeline he just has so many stories going on at once it required almost 2000 pages to go over it all. I really hope he starts pulling everything together so its not so convoluted. But right from book one some of the deaths have blown me away, clearly no one is safe and I also like that there is no great build up to their death, its war and people just die almost randomly.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoov View Post
Sumbitch!! Now that I look at my e-reader I actually have 4 of the 6 currently available books. Maybe I better change tacks so I can participate intelligibly in this discussion. PAPER BE DAMNED!! Thanks Bensiff for upsetting my current balance.
Your welcome...We'll see you in about 6 months when you get through those behemoths

Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Your welcome...We'll see you in about 6 months when you get through those behemoths
Lol, I just read that he plans on the next two books being roughly 1500 pages a piece so if you think they've been big so far....

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Lol, I just read that he plans on the next two books being roughly 1500 pages a piece so if you think they've been big so far....
Ugh, he might start losing readers...who has the time to read that much anymore especially when it keeps going into details about what everyone is eating, wearing, or a detailed list of all who were attending an event. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading the begets in the Bible.

Quick Reply