The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Solsun t shirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
homerun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Solsun t shirt

Have a solsun Tshirt that was Owned but the creator of Solsun. Anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 80

What's Solsun?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets View Post
What's Solsun?
Bell's Oberon before Larry Bell had to change it's name to Oberon.

Quote:
Death of Solsun, birth of Oberon
In the mid-1990s all the sororities at Western Michigan University for fall rush used the logo of Bell's Solsun beer on their T-shirts - around 600 of them, according to Bell's Brewing Co. owner Larry Bell.

Bell wanted to protect his logo so he filed for copyright protection. The Mexican brewing company Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma, which was started in 1890, found out about the Bell's brand and sued over naming rights because it had a product called El Sol (The Sun). The Mexican company let Bell keep the logo, but the name of Solsun had to be changed.

In 1996, Bell selected the name Oberon, referencing the Fairy King in Shakespeare's play "A Midsummer Night's Dream." He said it was a fun name and also had six letters, like Solsun.

In addition, Bell played the part of Oberon in sixth grade. In the play, Oberon gives his wife a potion that causes her to fall in love.

"I pulled it off great and I still see Queen Titania. She lives in Chicago," Bell said.

- John Liberty, Kalamazoo Gazette
The shirt is probably worth as much as any t-shirt.

Larry Bell is not exactly Bono or anyone.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Bono's a douche.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

funkapottomous Likes This 
Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Bono's a douche.
Some have said Larry Bell is a douche...

Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I'd be more interested in the shirt if it was once owned by one of the sorority girls. Especially if she was busty, had red hair, and had had at least one bisexual experience while wearing it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'd be more interested in the shirt if it was once owned by one of the sorority girls. Especially if she was busty, had red hair, and had had at least one bisexual experience while wearing it.
I don't know Larry Bell, but it is possible that he has man-boobs, red hair and is bi . . . does that work?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I don't know Larry Bell, but it is possible that he has man-boobs, red hair and is bi . . . does that work?
I had a nice conversation with Larry Bell in a bar once. Decent guy. Yes, I think he had some man-boobs. Married (at least when he started his business he was), but I guess he could still be bi. Not a redhead. Started out as a homebrewer in his basement (when, as he says, homebrewing was still illegal in MI). Cops came to the door for something unrelated once while he was brewing and his wife got spooked and told him to go pro or quit. Something like that.

I'll give you 5$ for the shirt.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
homerun
Recipes 

Larry bell is in fact a douche bag and an asshole. He was not the creator of Oberon. Rob skalla was. Rob died a couple years ago but before he died he came up with two hearted ale and a couple others. And it was Molson that sued bells because the name was to close to there's. I have a Solsun shirt that rob owned. I am a family friend to robs family and I live in Kalamazoo.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I thought Rob came up with just two-hearted, not Oberon. I didn't really know him, but we had a few mutual friends and I went to a couple parties at his house. Word is he was paid handsomely by Larry for the two hearted recipe, and his house sure showed it. That place was freakin sweet - even had a custom kitchen complete with draft tower coming out of the counter. As for Larry Bell, I have heard others say that he is not really a good guy. Not really sure why, he has seemed pretty nice the couple times I have talked with him. He even came over to my friend's house and partied with us after eccentric day a few years back. And I don't think that homebrewing was illegal in Michigan - I think the story is that he was worried about the cops because he had been selling his homebrew to friends before being licensed.

Quick Reply