Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Solatubes or similar.. Got one? Like it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
beergears
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Solatubes or similar.. Got one? Like it?

I just discovered light tunnel systems, Solatube or similar, and have a possible application in my home.

As the quality of the light seems to be very subjective, I wonder if anybody here has some in their abodes, and what they think of them.

DIY install tips welcome as well, especially the roof flashing part..!

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've seen them in houses. They are nothing more than small, expensive skylights. Their primary advantage is not needing to do any dry wall work other than cutting holes. Makes them easier for DIY. The main disadvantages: small, expensive for the amount of light they give you.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

No experience installing them, but I would say that the primary advantage of them versus a regular skylight is the tube - they can provide light through an attic space. My folks were thinking about installing them in their house over the main stairway; installing a regular skylight wasn't an option since there was an attic between the living space and the roof.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply