Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Solar Power

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Solar Power

Is there anyone out there in the HomeBrew Talk world that is familiar with solar power. I have a bunch of questions about what I need. I don't want to talk to a salesmen about it because they want to sell you all the stuff you don't need.
I am responsible for the family cabin now and my family are the ones that use it the most. Having a steady source of electricity sure would be nice. We don't need much just enough for probably a couple of lights, the TV, direct TV box and the occasional microwave. And maybe the washer and gas dryer every now and then during the peak of the day. There is no power within at least 10 miles so getting it ran to the cabin is not in the budget. We have a massive generator but it is good for depleting the cash reserves really fast and I only want to use it for welding and construction work.
Thanks

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Old_mil_guy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

From what I can remember, you can find a hemisphere map online that would give you a idea of your solar index. Your solar panels are usually angled about 10 degrees less than your latitude to your latitude. Generally a 100watt panel will give you 300-400 watts a day. Your generally keeping a battery bank charged and then using an inverter to run AC appliances. Lights can be dc so largest consideration would be motor on dryer and microwave.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I took a week course in PV systems. I've only installed one system. It is a large grid tied with battery backup system.

You need a small stand alone system. There is a fair amount of math involved in properly sizing the battery and the array. You have to start with a load analysis.

It's basically Array --> Charge Controller --> Battery --> Inverter. Using DC loads is a good idea too.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Would a wind/solar off grid wouk better. I ahve looked into this a couple times.

and if you hace a back up fuel genie, then you are set.

some of the new wind genies are easy to mount and make big power for under 1000usd

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The dryer may be a problem heat elements draw a huge amount of current. Think of a small 1500 watt heater. You might want to go with propane for the fridge and stove. Solar at this time is about a 15-20 year payback and then you need to replace. There are lots of propane and natural gas appliances out there give them a try.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

RTI for a grid tie system could be 10-20 years off (depend on the local price per kw/h) but stand alone systems can be much cheaper than connecting to the grid in remote locations.

You could use an electric dryer with full sun. You will need enough panels and inverter that can push the current. Running a dryer off the battery is not a good idea.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Ok, there is no way to get a grid tie in we are 10 miles from the nearest line through the national forest. If the line was to follow the 50 year old county road it would be a 45 mile trip, not cost effective. I have a gas fridge, gas stove, and a gas dryer all I need is to be able to turn the drum with electricity. My plan is to only use the washer and dryer in the daylight not off the batteries. For my power requirements. I have 4 plugins one will be for a microwave every now and then, one will be for the TV and the cable box. the other two will most likely used to charged batteries for the kids toys and a radio. I have 4 lights in the cabin. Not a lot of power required.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

A kit like these is the easy way. Still needs a inverter and battery. Probably could find a better kit. I haven't looked much.
http://www.solar-electric.com/rvandsmbasoc.html

Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Old_mil_guy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If you size an inverter for your microwave and dryer motor, probably just use one at a time, use dc for lights then your probably looking at a reasonably sized array. You would need a structure to mount the solar panels and store the batteries.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2841

Weird coincidence, my future sister in law works in the solar industry. Her last name? Coulter...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply