Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Soapmaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #81
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

The olive oil soap I made seemed to take forever. It does seem to be pretty mild, but it also doesn't seem to suds up very well and can get slimy in the shower pretty quick.

I didn't add any scent to it, so I can still smell a bit of oil. I may not have used enough lye in the mix. At least it didn't separate during the curing as the book I have said it might.

I should get some other oils and make a new batch to giveaway as well. I don't know anybody who uses bar soap anymore though.

I've also noticed that the shower has more soap scum than usual. When we only used liquid body soap there wasn't any. Just the usual mineral deposits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #82
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I should get some other oils and make a new batch to giveaway as well. I don't know anybody who uses bar soap anymore though.
I'm planning on picking up soap trays at IKEA and giving people a parchment-wrapped bar of soap on the tray. That way they have no excuse not to set it by their sink or shower. Heh.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #83
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Still curing the first batch, but I have leftover ingredients and a friend just texted to say he could get me a few pounds of deer fat this weekend.

Yooper, do you have any particular deer tallow recipes you like? Or simple ones that have worked well? I'm doing some Googling of course, but curious if there's even a rough mix you've had good experiences with (I'm seeing a range of roughly 1/3 to 2/3 tallow, often with coconut and sometimes olive oil).

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #84
msabin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by msabin View Post
Bit the bullet and bought some supplies online a few weeks ago, and got up the courage to make Yooper's starter recipe this afternoon.
Wasn't at all clear what "trace" was supposed to look like, until I saw it -- just like she described.
The batch is cooling under towels on the counter now. (keeping themead and the cider company)

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

--Matthew
Tested a bar today, and it's got good lather and feels great.
Caught my 6-year-old up to his elbows in a sink full of suds, he says "your soap is LOTS of fun, Daddy!!"

Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #85
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msabin View Post
Tested a bar today, and it's got good lather and feels great.
Caught my 6-year-old up to his elbows in a sink full of suds, he says "your soap is LOTS of fun, Daddy!!"
I recently started using my first batch too and it's great. I etched my 5-year-old nephew's name into one, so I hope he has as much fun as your boy!

Also, as I had asked for recommendations for tallow recipes, I thought I'd share what I ended up doing. Got about 2.5 pounds of deer fat from a friend, which I rendered for an hour and a half, ending up with about half a pound of tallow. I've seen better numbers out there online but I was a bit impatient. A longer simmer probably would've improved that by a couple ounces.

In any case, did a batch at 40% olive oil, 30% deer tallow, and 30% coconut oil. I also added some tangerine and cedarwood essential oils. I haven't used a bar yet as it's only been two weeks, but dry, they feel very hard and smell absolutely fantastic -- I have them curing in my bedroom and it's like waking up in a tangerine grove, even after two weeks. I'll report back when putting it to proper use, but I'm very excited about the feel and aroma so far. And the rendering process for the tallow was pretty easy, too, which I figured was worth mentioning.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #86
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I had some prime rib scraps and a bunch of other trash from my recently cooked prime rib. I sent it through my meat grinder and when I heated it it separated without any issue or gristle whatsoever. The meat settled to the bottom, or I'm learned you can lift the meat out with a strainer and rinse the fat off. My dogs were more than happy to get that meat slop served atop their food.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #87
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I got some Coconut Oil and Palm Oil for Christmas. Also picked up some color and fragrance stuff at a hobby store in GR. I'm all set for the next batch!

I might try and re-batch this first batch for kicks. I have more of it than I'll use in a while.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #88
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Still curing the first batch, but I have leftover ingredients and a friend just texted to say he could get me a few pounds of deer fat this weekend.

Yooper, do you have any particular deer tallow recipes you like? Or simple ones that have worked well? I'm doing some Googling of course, but curious if there's even a rough mix you've had good experiences with (I'm seeing a range of roughly 1/3 to 2/3 tallow, often with coconut and sometimes olive oil).

Thanks!
I just saw this- and have only done two deer tallow recipes. My favorite at this point is still curing, but it's: 50% Deer Tallow, 22% coconut oil, 22% olive oil, 6% castor oil, and oatmeal stout instead of the water! I added to scoops of powdered goat milk at trace, but you could leave that out.

I did a lovely beef tallow soap: 52% tallow, 24% olive oil, 24% coconut oil. This is great, and I'm going to do it with deer tallow next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I got some Coconut Oil and Palm Oil for Christmas. Also picked up some color and fragrance stuff at a hobby store in GR. I'm all set for the next batch!

I might try and re-batch this first batch for kicks. I have more of it than I'll use in a while.
I told Bob you got palm oil for Christmas, and he cracked up! I think he thinks you're too much like me.

I got two oyster knives and a pair of kevlar gloves!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #89
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I just saw this- and have only done two deer tallow recipes. My favorite at this point is still curing, but it's: 50% Deer Tallow, 22% coconut oil, 22% olive oil, 6% castor oil, and oatmeal stout instead of the water! I added to scoops of powdered goat milk at trace, but you could leave that out.

I did a lovely beef tallow soap: 52% tallow, 24% olive oil, 24% coconut oil. This is great, and I'm going to do it with deer tallow next!

I told Bob you got palm oil for Christmas, and he cracked up! I think he thinks you're too much like me.

I got two oyster knives and a pair of kevlar gloves!
Which oyster knives did you get? I have had several and have yet to find one I like better than the Williams-Sonoma one.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #90
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Which oyster knives did you get? I have had several and have yet to find one I like better than the Williams-Sonoma one.
I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell..._bxgy_k_text_z and then a set of two cheaper ones (from Sears). I don't know the brand of the other!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS