Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Soapmaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #71
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm making soap with different recipes, and finding what I like best. I really like the tallow soaps, it turns out. I only have 6 ounces of rendered tallow left, so I hope I either get a deer soon with my bow, or I get some extra fat when I pick up my side of grass-fed beef in a week or so.
We bought a grass fed quarter beef a few weeks ago, and I asked the butcher if I could have about 10 pounds of fat for soap. He said ok! A friend is going to drop of the meat and fat in a few weeks. Can't wait for more soap making goodness!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #72
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by torstensson View Post
I've made soap a few times and are wondering if there is a good soap for/against psoriasis?

Thanks in advance
Check out this very interesting and informational linky:
http://www.plaqueplucker.com/soaps-for-psoriasis/

Looks like cold processed soaps, dead sea soaps, and charcoal soaps would work wonders for psoriasis. If you don't want to wait the 6 weeks for the soap to cure, hop on etsy and buy a few sample bars to see how your body reacts.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #73
msabin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bit the bullet and bought some supplies online a few weeks ago, and got up the courage to make Yooper's starter recipe this afternoon.
Wasn't at all clear what "trace" was supposed to look like, until I saw it -- just like she described.
The batch is cooling under towels on the counter now. (keeping themead and the cider company)

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

--Matthew

Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #74
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msabin View Post
Bit the bullet and bought some supplies online a few weeks ago, and got up the courage to make Yooper's starter recipe this afternoon.
Wasn't at all clear what "trace" was supposed to look like, until I saw it -- just like she described.
The batch is cooling under towels on the counter now. (keeping themead and the cider company)

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

--Matthew
Awesome. How long did the whole process take you? I keep putting it off but have an evening or two this week and am wondering if I could fit this in. Ordered my supplies some time ago and really need to just bite the bullet and try soapmaking out for the first time.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #75
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2351 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Awesome. How long did the whole process take you? I keep putting it off but have an evening or two this week and am wondering if I could fit this in. Ordered my supplies some time ago and really need to just bite the bullet and try soapmaking out for the first time.
My first soap took about 2 hours to cook and pour and put away. And that was carefully gathering and measuring stuff and I used an electric hand mixer.

I'm sure it would only take maybe an hour to do it next time.

If I had the stuff I want to use handy I could probably do it on any given evening.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #76
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
My first soap took about 2 hours to cook and pour and put away. And that was carefully gathering and measuring stuff and I used an electric hand mixer.

I'm sure it would only take maybe an hour to do it next time.

If I had the stuff I want to use handy I could probably do it on any given evening.
Great, thanks. May just give it a go one of these evenings. Hopefully the soap will be ready enough by Christmas to serve as a nice stocking stuffer.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #77
msabin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My coconut and palm oils were solid (heater broke on Thursday, so house was at 58)
Put the bottles of solid oil in pot with hot water to liquify.

Once they were liquid, I measured and combined water and lye, then measures the oils and microwaved them to get them warm.
5 minutes of measuring (and worrying that lye was too hot for jar)
15 minutes waiting for everything to cool to under 120
10 minutes with stick blender (pulse, then stir: repeat)
10 minutes figuring how to support the silicone baking pan, wrapping towels about the pan for insulation and generally worrying some more.

That was Sunday afternoon, cut 15 bars of soap this evening (5-10 minutes)

Now not so much worrying, more planning next batch, and drinking homebrew...

Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #78
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, I took the plunge tonight and did my first soap, using the recipe Yooper provided on the first page of this thread (40/30/30 Olive/Coconut/Palm). It went well, I think! Only hitch was I forgot to stir when mixing the lye into the water -- I was so focused on not spilling that I totally spaced on that. When I looked a few minutes later, the lye had solidified in a ring at the bottom of the pitcher. I managed to stir it enough to get it to dissolve and heat up though, and after a little waiting, everything was ~110F and ready to mix. Got trace after only about 5 minutes of intermittent stirring/blending. The soap's now under a couple towels on my table, and hopefully tomorrow night I'll be cutting it up!

Thanks Yooper (and everyone else). This is definitely the start of something beautiful.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #79
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2351 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Great, thanks. May just give it a go one of these evenings. Hopefully the soap will be ready enough by Christmas to serve as a nice stocking stuffer.
Maybe. My batch was a different recipe and it took a long time to cure. I used just olive oil. From what I've read you should be good.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #80
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Olive oil soaps take longer to cure and harden, but once they finish curing they get really nice and hard. Other soaps, with less olive oil and more "hard" oils like shea butter and palm oil harden up faster. But once they cure, the olive oil soaps are the mildest.

I just made a "baby" soap for my friend, which is still pretty soft after a couple of weeks. But in 12 weeks, it'll be rock hard and perfect for him (it's 100% olive oil).

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS