Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So, somebody ran into my parked car today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
daholl01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So, somebody ran into my parked car today

So today I was parked on the side of the road at a college campus and noticed my front licensce plate was ripped off and sitting on my winshield. On it also was a note from the university police that my car had been in a minor accident and the number to call.

All the accident apprears to be is that someone, I am assuming, backed into the front of my car and ripped off my liscense plate and put a few gouges into my bumper. The bumper is also feeling kinda flimsy but it could have been that way before.

I talked to the officer and they gave me the name and number of the woman who hit my car, and she appartently said she would pay for the repair, or the officer said I could go through my insurance.

I have never been in this situation and I was wondering what the heck do I do. I don't even really know my rights in all of this. I have thought about calling the woman and telling her I would get a quote and have her pay for a new bumper. Although I just have a plastic bumper and am wondering about maybe just trying to fill the gouges and liscense plate holes with something and having them repainted (a lot of the plastic is discolored from being flexed). I've just got a 1999 Grand Cherokee, but I don't want to have it looking too beat up.

What would you do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Cakehole
Recipes 

Get a few estimates for the repairs. A simple "bump" could have actually done a bit of damage to the car that you cannot see. If it was hit hard enough to rip the front plate off, it was hit hard enough to do some damage. Be sure to have your airbag checked. It would really suck to have that dude fire off for no reason while you were driving down the road.

You should be able to get estimates without a commitment. Then you will have some basis to make your decision on whether you want to fix it yourself or have the nice lady pay for the repairs.

Primary #1: Blonde Ambition Ale Primary #2: nada
Secondary #1:Cake's Stout Secondary #2: Empty
Keg: #1: Ed's Apfelwein #2: Killian's Irish Red Clone #3: Orfy's Hobgoblin II #4: Cream Soda ( for the kiddo )

Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try working with her directly but if she gets hinky or it isn't dealt with in 20 days, Let it run through your insurance company.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jeez, you're lucky. I got hit by a lady in the JCPenny parking lot. It was a hit and run, but several people saw it and left me notes on my windshield along with a note from the mall security. Unfortunately, the woman was from out of state, and since it was a misdemeanor, there was nothing the police could do to get the person. It wasn't that bad, so I didn't go through my insurance. (My parents feared it might raise my rates). So, bascially I filled out a bunch of paper work, and heard nothing more. They knew exactly who she was from her license plate, but they said if she didn't reply to their letter, that they couldn't do anything.

What a bunch of BS. But, oh well I just sold that car yesterday :-)

Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I have never been in this situation and I was wondering what the heck do I do.
I'd go through my insurance company.

Rick

Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Id start bustin some caps!

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 06-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
scox80
Recipes 

Get an estimate from a good repair place...find out who your insurance would use.....give the lady the estimate tell her you need her to pay it by the next day....if she does pay...keep the money and buy some beer stuff....if she doesn't call your insurance it won't go up.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
nugget
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

definatly get it looked at, my grandmother had someone back into here front bumper and it turned out to push it up and push something else into another part that caused like 700 bucks to repair.

On the internet Men are Men, the Women are Men, and the 16 year old girl your hitting on is Chris Hanson.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Get your insurance company involved, that's what they do for a living. Modern bumpers are not simple. With many cars, smacking the bumper can compromise the crash-control systems. If the car has one-use impact absorbers, they probably need to be replaced.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Treat her like you would like to be treated if you accidentally banged into someone else's vehicle. Get a quote (or three) , Tell her what it's going to cost to fix and give her 7 days to cough up the money. If she doesn't pay, sick your insurance company on her. If you are not at fault, they will pay to have it fixed and go after her (if she's not inusred) or her insurance company to get their money back.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply