Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So My House was robbed last night...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Default So My House was robbed last night...

Last night I came home from work, opened the front door and noticed the tv stand had been moved away from the wall. As I walked further into the house I saw my back door splintered and wide open.

I called the police and after doing a quick walkthrough realized that if I had owned an electronic device I didn't anymore. The strange thing is that they didn't take my TV.

The police officer said that based on what was taken and the proximity to the local high school that it was probably teenagers. I had seen kids crossing through my yard before but never really noticed anyone casing the place out.

The kicker is that we've been lax on home security up until last week when my girlfriend and I were both out of town. All the windows were locked and both doors were locked and dead bolted.

I can't get over that someone would kick down my back door. Anyway I let all the neighbors know, and the good news is that my homeowner's insurance (USAA) probably will cover some of the stolen items.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
jbpate6
Recipes 

USAA has been great to me over the years! Sorry to here you got robbed though, that is never a fun exp...at least from your comments they didn't take your Beers!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lame. Sorry about that.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

They didn't and that amazes me. My garage has two or three cases of homebrew in bottles just sitting there.

Keep an eye out guys especially with the holidays and the economy as it is now. The police officer told me that people get desperate around the holidays and if it looks like it could be present they'll grab it.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

We're moving into our first house and we're already getting paranoid about security. Anyone heard of the jackass kid Colton Harris-Moore? Where he's at is where we're moving. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it's good you have good insurance.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
jpb5151
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Darwin, that just sucks. I hope you guys bounce back quickly, and that the insurance covers more than just some of it. ... not sure RDWHAHB will help here... It's great you're close with the cops and the neighbors; maybe you all can learn one anothers' schedules and keep an eye out for this stuff. And let's hope that the thieves move on to honest endeavors, or at least are prevented from robbing others.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
friarjohn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

good god. that colton sounds like winner. 3 wrecked planes. and boats.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #8
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry about your loss, I know how you feel. We were broken into and robbed while we were at work last Christmas Eve, of all days. Came home from work and all the jewelry was stolen. We got a security system the next week. Best peace of mind I could buy and the only thing that made us feel safe.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Papinquack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
We're moving into our first house and we're already getting paranoid about security.
My advice is arm yourself! My house was robbed a few years back and my wife and I felt very violated.She had trouble sleeping for awhile as did I. I went on constant alert to everything. I suddenly became aware of the new faces walking in the neighborhood. I'd catch myself saying "How many times did that same car pass the house?" "Why is that car just sitting there?" "Who's this on the caller I.D. that I don't recognize?" Are they calling to see if we are home?

That got old real quick needless to say so I decided to practice my constitutional right and get my LTCF (licence to carry a firearm). I can assure you, its a great thing to know that if some piece of sh*t thinks they are going to try and make victims out of you and your loved ones, the ability to adequately defend yourself is better than hoping for the best. Check out your local laws and apply for your permit to carry.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A couple weeks ago over 13 cars in my neighborhood (including 2 of ours) were entered in one night. We were lucky and nothing was taken (nothing to take) except change and no windows were broken (others weren't so lucky). I have been on edge ever since, suspicious of everyone. Not a good feeling. The crazy part is that no one heard anything and if they did the cops would be here in

Quick Reply