Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So, I was thinking about becoming a crab fisherman...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #11
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
So, I was thinking about becoming a crab fisherman... ...or, alternative title: The Impressionable Mind and the Effect of The Deadliest Catch Upon It.
I would give you Rebel backside about 30 minutes in AK b4 you were screaming for someone to set you on fire so you could warm up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 03:59 AM   #12
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I told my wife I should go work on a crab boat. She said "Those guys would eat you alive". Apparently working on bank software (yes, my job is just like on Office Space) isn't quite as macho.

I wasn't always a geek, though - I grew up a farm boy and I worked as a ranch hand after I graduated high school. It's amazing how soft a desk job can make you. 18 year old me would totally kick 30 year old me's a**.

Last edited by alemonkey; 06-03-2006 at 04:01 AM.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #13
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I am a big fan of this show.... This is the 3rd offering of this show now... they had a few shows in 'special' format the first year and then a real 'season' last year. The snow crab (opelio crap) season they are on now is just nuts. I was out with a few friends tonight and we were all talking about that show. (funny how all guys seem to be drawn to the discovery channel) I can't for the live of me even imagine doing that for a living. You get a real sense of the lack of sleep and the relentless work they do but its hard to inagine how the cold effects you. It is fascinating to watch. When my brother and I watch the show we are constantly saying "f#$k that!"

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 06-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #14
jimmyjohn
Recipes 

I've spent some time fishing in the bearing, out of dutch harbor, not crabing, but long lining. Its not for everyone thats for sure, 16-18 hour days are the norm, risking your life for thousads of dollars. I remember times when we would wake up at 10AM after going to bed at 6AM, then we'd fish till the sun came down, then came up, then came down again. Then 2 hours sleep till we have to get up and clean the boat while we head into town, then offload 70,000 pounds of fish by hand. then finally get a good nights sleep. When you are traveling you could be traveling for days straight and everyone on the boat does nothing but sleep, and wake up every once in a while to eat and crap

Old 06-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thats a sweet show. i worked my friends uncles shrimp boat in high school, but it was nothing liike that. cool stuff though, i sure as hell wouldnt be out there though.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa

I would give you Rebel backside about 30 minutes in AK b4 you were screaming for someone to set you on fire so you could warm up
Actually, I spent part of my childhood growing up in Grande Prairie, Alberta (north of Edmonton), so I know a bit about being cold I also know I don't like it (not to that degree), so you may be right. My parents were stationed in Fairbanks before I was born and my father wanted to stay, but now says he couldn't go back to those winters.

I've also fished commercially on small boats in the summer in NC which certainly isn't the same, but was enough to convince me to carry on with college. OTOH, we weren't making $20-40k every week or two!

I hope the series keeps going.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #17
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I shrimped here in NC and as far south as Ga. in my teens. I also went to NY on 20 day scallop trips. Shrimping sucked because it was hot and we got to sleep for about 30 minutes at the time while we were working. Scalloping sucked because of the long trips. 20 days, no beer, dirty clothes, not nearly enough fresh water for daily showers. Something special about spending your formative years ass-deep in fish. Almost got eaten by a really big shark off Brunswick Ga. in '86.
I was just thinking that the "all you can eat" seafood was one of the benfeits of the job. It's cool until the seafood tries to eat you.
Saw some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets out there. Somebody mentioned sleeping while steaming from place to place. Best damn sleep I can remember. Big diesel humming away down in the engine room. Boat rocking you like you were in Mommas arms. Life ( and death) was simple out there.
Think I'd rather pick up cans for a living than go back to it, though..
You get more beer that way

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #18
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Yeah, I had a buddy (and his cousin) killed shrimping one night around Christmas. It was pretty devastating because they could have been saved, but the CG regarded their SOS as a hoax and didn't go out. I haven't been out again (commercially), don't really plan to.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #19
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had some friends killed off Baltimore. They never found anything of them. That's probably the hardest part. I haven't been on the Ocean since then.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 06-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #20
beyondthepale

Recipes 

"When I grow up I want to be
One of the harversters of the sea

I think before my days are done,
I'd like to be a fisherman

I'll live and die a fisherman

Calling John the fisherman!"