The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So I take out tons of trash to the dumpster...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
BADS197
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So I take out tons of trash to the dumpster...

and I didn't even finish dumping the crap, and some mexicans were digging through the trash. WTF are they doing going through the trash!!!

I just don't get it..

I watched the guy pull out a pair of greasy and I mean, worked on a friends car greasy soaked fingers cut off gloves... a couple cisco boxes I used to haul the trash out .... I need to go look and see what else they are pulling out...

Its bad enough when they go through it every week looking for bottles and cans at early hours of the morning waking everyone up...

Isn't there city ordinances for this sort of crap?

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Its bad enough when they go through it every week looking for bottles and cans at early hours of the morning waking everyone up...

Isn't there city ordinances for this sort of crap?

The right answer is- That depends. An old man in the neighborhood goes around trashpicking, getting metal and various other junk. I cleaned out stuff, then stopped by his yardsale a few months later to find my kitchen table stripped, sanded, and refinished. I wanted to buy it back. The issue is when they make a mess. This guy is a real POS. He breaks glass in the street, just to get the metal. He cuts lamp cords off, and actually shattered a ceramic lamp against my fence to get the whole cord, leaving glass/ceramic/ other trash everywhere. All at 5:30 am.

Cops respond to my call. I provide Name/address/plate # of truck, etc.
He grew up in town,knows everybody. We can't do anything, he's an old man.

Week 2 of cleanout- same guy. trash everywhere. Bang, bang, bang 5am.
Get out of bed, see its him. Go over to his house, POUND THE LIVING F out of his door, waking up his wife. Gave my business card, told her when he gets home, have him come talk to me.

So, the cops come, and tell me I can't knock on his door because he made a mess in front of my house.

His wife called the cops on me for waking her up-
Week 3- Videoed him breaking glass in the street and leaving it. also baited a garbage can with copper pipe from my plumbing days, and have him on tape cutting each and every bag open with a razor knife.
Go to mayors office(small town) Show mayor tape. Mayor informs police officers in my area to do their job. He goes to court, I appear with tape.
He pays fine.

This is where it really gets good- I go to work after this, and a guy in HVAC dept is complaining about some guy that dragged his father in law to court.

That woulld be me! I showed him the tape. He agreed, and said he would have done the exact same thing.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

as NJTomatoguy said going through garbage on its own is not a problem, I would rather somebody rescue things from the garbage and give them a second life than have them wind up in a land fill or something. its only a problem if they make a mess or a lot of noise too early or late in the day.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If he's just rooting though your trash, not bothering anyone, I don't see the problem. It's called "ghetto recycling"/

If, as k1 notes, they're causing an inconvenience to the owners of the dumpster or their tenants...f*ck 'em.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just be glad you don't have to dig through trash...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
If...they're causing an inconvenience to the owners of the dumpster or their tenants...f*ck 'em.
Ya might want to buy em dinner first...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
If he's just rooting though your trash, not bothering anyone, I don't see the problem. It's called "ghetto recycling"/

If, as k1 notes, they're causing an inconvenience to the owners of the dumpster or their tenants...f*ck 'em.
So you don't have a problem someone going through your trash at some ungodly hour of the morning waking you up thus interrupting your homebrew REM sleep?

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think as far as the legal side of that goes dumpsters are private property owned by the dumpster company and rented by who ever is using it. but trash at the curb in front of someones house is public domain, except some cities have passed laws against people taking recycling from in front of houses. of course there are anti noise and littering laws too.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Seawolfe
Recipes 

Our trash pickers are very polite - I asked the nice young man to not hit mine till after 8 am because it sets the dogs off and my neighbors complain about the barking. He said he would hit mine last. Never a mess, so I don't mind. In fact, I never have to call for large item pickup (old mattresses, dead refrigerators etc...) it all just goes away.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One man's junk is another man's treasure. I won't dig, but if I see something cool near the top of a dumpster or next to one I'm not too proud to pick it up. People throw away some stuff that could definately benefit someone, and in the case of poor people they can use stuff that we wouldn't even consider touching. Deal with the issue if they are causing a ruckus first thing in the morning, but otherwise I wouldn't sweat it.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply