Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So easy and good "we should cook this more often"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default So easy and good "we should cook this more often"

I'm looking for idea's...

SWMBO just called and said, "figure out dinner for tonight, kids are driving me crazy, I'm locking myself in the garage and drinking homebrew until you get home"

Lol, so what are those stand-by recipe's you all have that are easy and good. The ones where during dinner you say to yourselves, "This was so easy we should cook this more often!"

For me, it's chili fries. Open some chili, add an extra can of green chili's and toss some french fries in the oven. Top with cheese / sour cream and enjoy.

But I need more idea's. What are your tried, true, easy and delish dinners?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
punkerdru
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

One of my favorite meals we call hamburger gravy. Make some mashed potatoes (real easy and pretty quick in the microwave), brown 1 lb of ground beef in a pan and add. Can o cream of mushroom to the beef. Add salt and pepper and pour over top of the potatoes. Comfort food!

And there's always tacos...

Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

That sounds pretty good! That would be easy and quick too.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
brkoerner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

one thing i cook thats pretty easy is one package of Spanish rice cooked as per directions and once you reduce heat add a can of corn and brown a lb of hamburger and add that once rice is done

Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
dslater
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My daughter loves "chicken ala Daddy"

Pound a couple of chicken breasts, make up some stove to stuffing, fill the breasts with stuffing pour in a jar of gravy and bake the sh*t out of it. Wash it down with home brew root beer.

Fast & easy & the kids can 'help'

Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 837 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Grilled ham & cheese - Take some bread, spread real butter on on side of each, brown the buttered sides in a medium-hot skillet, and apply shredded cheddar to the face-up side of one slice. Meanwhile, put some shredded deli ham right on an open spot of the skillet and let it sizzle for a little bit. Place the ham on the other slice, assemble, flip, slice and serve. Awesome and ready by the end of halftime.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Tater tot casserole. Brown 1lb hamburger with whatever seasoning you like, we use salt and pepper and a little red wine and garlic. Put that in the bottom of a small casserole dish and pour a can of cream of chicken soup over it. Top with tater tots and cook according to tater tot directions. It isn't the fastest dish I make but it is the easiest and quite tasty.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3596 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Get a crock pot. Requires foresight but it's pretty much, put food in, turn on, eat in 8 hours.

Roast (beef or pork)
Packet or two of powdered Italian salad dressing
Pepperoncini peppers with all the juice
Maybe a cup of water

Put all that in the crock pot and let it go for about 8 hours. Fix any side dish you like or pull it apart and make sandwiches. It comes out super tender and juicy.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

When I'm pressed for time and need to crank out some dinner for the kids, my fall back is "Breakfast for Supper", French Toast and sausage (or bacon), with a side of fruit for the produce. The boys love it, and it's fairly painless for me.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
OfficerMitchel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beer Butt Chicken

Not too quick, but doesn't get much easier. You will need a vertical can roaster, a 12 oz can of your beverage of choice, a small potato, and a pie pan (and, of course, a whole chicken). You can dress it up with a couple of cloves of garlic, some Tobasco sauce, some butter flavored Pam, and even some injectable marinade (I prefer Creole Butter). You can even do this with a turkey, if you have a large enough oven (and a larger can roaster).

Place the roaster in a pie pan, to catch the drippings, and put an open, room temperature 12 oz beverage can in the frame. It cuts down on the mess in the pie pan if you empty up to half the can before roasting, but that's optional. You can use any beverage you like; soda, beer, or even V8. You're using the steam from the can to assist in the cooking, very little flavor is imparted, so use whatever's handy. Dry the chicken well and place right side up over the can. Put a small potato in the neck of the chicken to seal in the steam then turn your oven to 350 degrees. Roast in the oven for about one and a half hours. You can't really overcook the bird, due to the steam keeping everything moist from the inside.

You can add a lot of flavor by shoving an unpeeled clove of garlic under the skin of each breast prior to cooking. When done, just remove the cloves and discard. I sometimes use injectable marinade in the breasts, legs and thighs for an added boost of flavor. You can also spray some butter flavored Pam on the outside of the bird to aid in browning.

Every time I've done this for friends or family, I've gotten raves. It works in the oven or grill, as long as it's large enough to accommodate an upright full chicken.

Bon Appetit.

Whatever is, is right...Alexander Pope

Quick Reply