Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So do you report this? and if so to whom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #31
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm a douch then. When I see a new post and the poster is talking like an underage kid or something seems fishy I'll spend the time (about 30 seconds of googling) to see where else he/she posts and verify age. I am not a moderator, but I feel it's in my interests as well to ensure that this forum doesn't come under scrutiny because some mom finds beer under her son's bed and then finds out he's been here at Homebrewtalk. To me it's an obligation, but that might be because Homebrewtalk is important to me and is one of the main ways I socialize.

I can see where the OP's first post might have made it seem like he was more interested in reporting the guy because he was annoying vice underage, but I'm sure that really wasn't how he meant to come across.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #32
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you find his posts annoying a lot of forums have ignore buttons so you don't have to read any posts by him.

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #33
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I am not a moderator, but I feel it's in my interests as well to ensure that this forum doesn't come under scrutiny because some mom finds beer under her son's bed and then finds out he's been here at Homebrewtalk. To me it's an obligation, but that might be because Homebrewtalk is important to me and is one of the main ways I socialize.

+1,000!!!!!!!!

Or worse....makes hooch, beer, or apfelwein, gets drunk, kills someone driving, or gets killed, and TX gets sued....In this litiginous society and with MADD running around trying to bring back prohibition? It could happen/

Granted someone could lurk and the same thing could happen, BUT if the fool posted and we didn't step up....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #34
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The strength and soundness of any "neighborhood" is driven primarily by self policing of the core "citizens".

We (mods) don't have time to read every post or peek under the kilt of every new member.

If members are breaking forum rules (age, personal attacks, spam, etc...) the the report buttons make it easier for us to review and if necessary, take action.

There are plenty of "report" posts that I elect not to act upon. Sometimes a post reporter sees it differently that I do.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #35
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BowlMovement (sorry BM!) here is right.
Self moderation is GOOD for society. It means that people are active in wanting to serve and preserve the society as a whole. It means that we know what we want and that we're not going to allow people to come in that we don't want - why would anyone want to hang out with someone they don't like?

We see it some of the noob hate threads - it's self policing. People get angry at the lazy people who don't want to search because we want strong self sufficient brewers to hang out with on here, not a bunch of sponges that feed off the community. And it's a good thing.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Seems to me like you're doing it just cause he annoys you. Crap reason, but you are backed by a viable reason. Just ignore his posts. I liked your one line in the original post "I then begin to think how much better my day would be not having to read things he has written"." Who the hell is holding a gun to your head telling you which threads to read? That's the guy who should be reported! The one holding a grown man hostage. Surely that's against forum rules.

Report for the right reason, not cause there's sand in your Vag

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This is kind of a moot point since I'm guessing we're banned about a half dozen accounts for violating the age requirement since this thread started.

It is really no different than reporting spam or any of the other TOS violations with the exception that willful disregard of the age requirement puts the entire community in jeopardy.

Look. In terms of being a DBag...

If you come here to circumvent the alcohol laws in your community and you don't have the common decency to show some discretion and wisdom, then you are de-facto asking of this community to abet you in this endeavor.

Do us all the courtesy, please.

Don't place this site or it's members in a position of jeopardy. That is the ultimate DBag move.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #38
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So let me put this logic out there for you...

I reported the guy on that other forum and I felt like a giant Duche, but then I came over here to HBT and found a guy who was under age that I knew nothing about and as I have to "play fair" I reported him as well.

Interestingly, reporting the guy here made me feel less Duchy about reporting the other guy, as I can justify it as being good internet citizen or whatever, but now I am kind of locked in and have to report any and all under age board users to not feel like I was being a dick towards the guy on the other board. Do you think every time I report someone new, I'll feel less bad about exacting revenge on an internet moron I hate?

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #39
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
Would doing that make me a big d-bag or what?
Not sure about the d-bag thing, but maybe a little lame. Are you also calling code enforcement on your neighbor if he forgets to take care of his lawn one week? Rules are rules and laws are laws, but sometimes not always caring about other ppl business is not really a bad thing (IMO)

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #40
Docapi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I'm a douch then. When I see a new post and the poster is talking like an underage kid or something seems fishy I'll spend the time (about 30 seconds of googling) to see where else he/she posts and verify age. I am not a moderator, but I feel it's in my interests as well to ensure that this forum doesn't come under scrutiny because some mom finds beer under her son's bed and then finds out he's been here at Homebrewtalk. To me it's an obligation, but that might be because Homebrewtalk is important to me and is one of the main ways I socialize.

I can see where the OP's first post might have made it seem like he was more interested in reporting the guy because he was annoying vice underage, but I'm sure that really wasn't how he meant to come across.
Nope, not a douche. If you actually read my post, I said it is the intent that matters.

You report because you don't want the community to suffer because some underage kid is on here screwing around.

The OP did it because he has a personal issue with the kid- and his post more than just "made it seem" that way- it pretty blatantly comes right out and says it.

Big difference.

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwien #1 Edwort Apfelwien #2, Joes ancient orange mead, island mist kits x2.

Quick Reply