Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Snow?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Snow?!

We are about to break an all time 'since records have been kept' snowfall here in the Washington DC area. Our roads are still way screwed up from this weekends snow (most have patches of packed snow and ice on them, even the interstates have bad spots) and we are expecting another 10-24" over the next two days.

Frankly I've had it. I should be losing weight shoveling all this snow but drinking beer and eating bratworst inbetween shoveling has actually put on 5# on this old carcus. Well I'm working hard so I'm more hungry. Today Denny's in our area has a 'free grand slam' if you can make it there. What are they thinking?? The roads have 5-8 foot piles of snow off the shoulders and there is a sudden stop you come to, as sudden blind stop, because there is a line of 25 cars waiting to... get into Denny's parking lot. Don't be throwing free food in the faces of hungry jr. lumberjacks that have been snowbound for the last 5 days, they will come and they will come hard.

We have no place to put the snow either. Other more snowed towns like my friends from Buffalo NY have places to 'dispose' of such quantities. We have 20+ foot piles in our shopping centers and like I said, we have another 1-2 feet coming just today/tomorrow.

Many people are without power still since Friday and are worried when this next wave hits they will still be low priority. Even whole areas of the county have their roads still unplowed. Our snow budget has been spent for the next 3 years too. Here goes my taxes again...

One strange thing I notice is that my wife and I are the only ones out on our hilly roads with sleds in our hands. Even my 13 year old along w/most of her other friends are busy inside chatting on their computers and cell phones. (old geezer moment here) Why in my day with 3+ ft of snow on the ground we would be out from dawn to dust buring calories using anything that would slide to get winters best free ride... Now it's a few times down the hill and inside to take some advil... I hope I can drink massively after taking advil... j/k

One more thing and I'll shut up about the snow for now. People, if you are out in this type of weather SLOW DOWN, people are driving way too fast and when they go around a turn and invariably come upon a traffic slow down or black ice they crash and burn. Please slow down, don't be in a hurry and watch out for the other guy. This guy passed me yesterday (I'm in a subaru) while I was going the speed limit, 50, and I should have been going slower too, he spinned out and I ended up pulling over and calling 911 for his sorry butt. He was ok TG, but his air bags had deployed and you know that will cost him more than just time... Slow down and be safe!

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

wait until it all melts and you see the damage done to your roads.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

**** SNOW!!!! I am so sick and tired of it already. Both of those last two big storms we got the worst of it out of the region and its predicted we will be in the worst area again with this one. We have already had over 60 inches this season.

I do have to give the state credit though, while the back roads are still pretty nasty all of the more traveled roads have been fine the day after the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah I haven't left the house since thursday. My fiance is on the 3rd snow day from work and I think #4 will be tomorrow. Nice 5-day weekend. The roads are sheer ice under that snow too.

People in NOVA can't even drive properly when its raining or 1" of snow let alone 2+feet. I heard several people say "I have 4 wheel drive. I can go out in this EASY." Yet those people are confused when realize that 4x4's can not just plow through feet of snow and keep going.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
wait until it all melts and you see the damage done to your roads.
That's the catch 22 of this all. The first blizzard in December alone took entire snow removal budgets for the year. To cover the over budget expenses most governments are taking money from the road repairs budgets.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh you silly southerners and your snow problems. lol j/k

Old 02-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
Yeah I haven't left the house since thursday. My fiance is on the 3rd snow day from work and I think #4 will be tomorrow.
Schools around here yesterday were considering just closing for the rest of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
I heard several people say "I have 4 wheel drive. I can go out in this EASY." Yet those people are confused when realize that 4x4's can not just plow through feet of snow and keep going.
Either that or they learn the hard way that 4x4 doesn't help with stopping.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am from the Northeast so I'm enjoying all the snow. Minus the digging out of cars. Luckily I'm walking distance to a few bars/restuarants (which have been packed lately). I only wish I hadn't filled all my fermenters brewing on Saturday and I had bought some yeast on Thursday before the storm. I think I can move one to keg and brew one more batch.... Thinking of risking one in a 5gallon BB with a blowoff tube either that or use the bottling bucket.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ha, I'm at school in Rhode Island now and people are already worried about the "storm" coming...the predictions are 4-8" or 6-10" or so... I've shoveled 8" of snow to get out of the driveway to go to school growing up in VT... School was rarely closed for anything less than 10, and no matter how much we received, nothing was shut down for more than a day.

What I'm worried about more than anything is the other drivers here... I pay attention to things like what tires other cars are riding on, and I havent seen more than a few pairs of decent snows on most vehicles. I'm running some meaty all terrains, and with 4 wheel on my truck and my snow driving ability from growing up in VT, I'll be fine... I think other people will be sliding all over the place though...

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hate snow.

Next state I move to is gonna be South Carolina. They might get a snowstorm for an inch or 3, but never this 20+....let alone 3 times in a single season.

Tags
blizzard, snow

Quick Reply