The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Snobby Homebrew Supply Shop Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
f0xtr0t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Snobby Homebrew Supply Shop Owner

I haven't been in a LHBS in 15 years. Before the guys at the store were super helpful and knowledgeable. They were always itching to show off a new gadget or recommend some seasonal ingrediant. Now I live 3 hours from my LHBS I walked in for the first time today. I Mainly wanted a drilled stopper for my starter flask and a lb or two of DME. I also am planning my next couple of brews which I think will be another raspberry wheat and an IPA.

So I tell the store owner I have some efficiency issues. (Which is why I need the DME) And I'm curious if he can mill grain fine for me. I also tell him I just brewed a raspberry wheat (I wanted to ask about his flavor extract) I get side tracked and ask about IPA recipes he had and points to a book. Anyway the book is kinda of a pain to go through so I say I think ill pass on the kit. He then tells yeah thanks for coming in and telling me about the beers you didnt buy from me. I guess I felt bad about talking to him I paid for my DME and some Carb drops and left forgetting my stopper.
I now am mad because he didn't offer any suggestions and he made be feel like I was pulling him away from his conversation at the bar. Bad customer service I don't think ill go back. I guess he just opened a HBS to hang out with his friends.

Founding Member of B.R.E.W.S. (Border Residents Engineering Wicked Suds)
I'm a beekeeper. Save the bees, Save the world.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Foxtrot,
Do you go by ZTFAB on another site? Just wondered.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
f0xtr0t
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Negatron

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ya, but you have to see his point of view. He is probably busy and has lots of people ask questions and buy 2 dollars of stuff. Some days I get cranky too, its all about walking in their shoes for a day dude.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
f0xtr0t
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You know you're right. People are just human. To be honest I probably did ramble on about brewing because I don't have have anyone to talk to about it. I was excited to check out a HBS and get a suggestion about an IPA to brew. But all he did was point to a book. The guy had a little serving bar and he was just talking and drinking with his customers. I would have bought a recipe kit if he took the time to make a personal recommendation. I spent $12 was planning on spending $50. Why would you actually tell a customer thanks for coming in and wasting my time? I just don't get it. ...I guess I just wanted to post to vent. I was mad that he made me feel like a jackass for just asking some questions. And I was curious on the vibe at other HBS. I can remember the last LHBS in Portland, Oregon had awesome customer service. I had a stuck fermentation and one of the guys made me a starter.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It all depends on the day. Some days I am a chatty Kathy too. Others not so much. People are human, sometimes we forget that.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 141

It would be interesting to hear the other guy's side to this story.....

Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore View Post
It would be interesting to hear the other guy's side to this story.....
I agree. It sux that you were treated that way, but maybe it was a tough customer service kind of day.

When you're back in town, maybe give them another shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised. First impressions aren't accurate all the time.

... but if service sux on round 2, then washing your hands of him might be the best thing to do.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
f0xtr0t
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I'll try again next time I'm into town probably. He did give me his card and tell him to call if I needed anything.

I guess the more I think about it. He thought, I came in talked his ear off and wasn't going to buy anything. When I asked him for to bag up some items his demeanor did change a little. Ah well, I'll see next time.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1547 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

I dont know, foxtrot, I think you were absolutely right to be pissed. What was he doing before you got there? He was chatting, not selling anything, to his friends. So his choices were idle chatter with friends and idle chatter with a customer. Idle chatter with a customer should win every time.

This is why the Jose Cuevo girl in the half shirt and nothing skirt doesnt get bent out of shape that you arent buying a bottle after a sample. She knows you're going to have her pleasant presentation in the back of your mind next time you buy tequila.

Now if there was a line of guys behind you trying to buy carboys and kits and hundreds of dollars in equiptment and you were in the way, Id get it.

I'd give him a second shot too, but the fact of the matter is he was being an insufferable @$$. Just my $0.02.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply