Small Outboard Motors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
Does anyone here know jack **** about small outboard motors? Specifically, a 7.5 Sears Gamefisher from the early 90's.

I have a 3 HP game fisher. I am gonna take a wild stab and tell you to open the vent in the center of the gas cap.:D

Dirty jets, and possibly a bad impleller. I won't know until I can get it running. I have to steal some metric wrenches from work today in order to remove the carb and soak it. I "assisted" my father 10 years ago doing this on the same motor. This is going to suck.

I already replaced fuel hose and got new gas. And the vent isn't an issue since I realized there's a crack in the tank anyway (at the top, no dripping leaks, just vapor leak).... that will also have to be replaced.

Ha. Been there done that.

1973 75 horse Evinrude Triumph 3 Cyl. $400 spent to rebuild it. Carb kits, lines, impeller, this, that.

Never could get that b!tch to run. It was given to me so I sold it for $500.

Dirty jets, and possibly a bad impleller. I won't know until I can get it running. I have to steal some metric wrenches from work today in order to remove the carb and soak it. I "assisted" my father 10 years ago doing this on the same motor. This is going to suck.

I already replaced fuel hose and got new gas. And the vent isn't an issue since I realized there's a crack in the tank anyway (at the top, no dripping leaks, just vapor leak).... that will also have to be replaced.

Mine was given to me by an old neighbor. He told me it was seized. I will give him some credit as it was locked up. Some gental presuasion and some penetrating lube, and I had it un-seized. It runs like a champ. I bought some parts for it from sears. I was kinda shocked that they would still have parts for it. Very cheap and they came right in the mail. They even sent me a copy of the owners manual.

Is yours air cooled? Mine is a 2 stroke air cooled motor.

Now, I am just asking. You have checked the basics right? Got spark, good plug? Does it sputter like it wants to run?

Starts with gas/oil spritz from water bottle but won't run. Gas is getting to the carb, i loosened the hose clamp and gas pumps out when I pump the bulb but won't flood. Classic clogged jets according to internet. So I assume fuel filter/pumpdiaphram is working-not blocked. Impeller- After many starts but no running, I noticed bone dry pee-hole. So that's another problem. After sitting there for over a year, I guess it may have just dried out. I really don't know. But I can't verify it's bad until it runs, and by running it I am doing irreparable damage if the impeller (water pump) doesn't work.

I didn't steal my wrenches today, but I did set them aside... ;)

I'd tear into the impeller and find out for sure. You sure don't want to run it for more than a couple of seconds without the water pumping through it.

You'll need to tear into the impeller eventually but a good seal on a set of engine muffs and a garden hose should get water circulating enough to fire the thing in your driveway. It's only a 9 hp after all.

90's huh? My newest engine is a '72 Chrysler 20hp and the oldest that I take out on the lake is a '58 Johnson Sea-Horse 7.5HP with the pressure tank setup. That goes on the '53 AlumaCraft that was build at the original factory in St Charles MI.

There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

You'll need to tear into the impeller eventually but a good seal on a set of engine muffs and a garden hose should get water circulating enough to fire the thing in your driveway. It's only a 9 hp after all.

90's huh? My newest engine is a '72 Chrysler 20hp and the oldest that I take out on the lake is a '58 Johnson Sea-Horse 7.5HP with the pressure tank setup. That goes on the '53 AlumaCraft that was build at the original factory in St Charles MI.

There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Yeah, if you got running water pushed through muffs you can run it, but if you have it in a barrel, the old fashioned way, you could heat it up.

Funny, though, is I have no interest in being on a boat unless there is some fishing going on. Especially fly fishing for bass and panfish. I need to get the fly tying stuff out again and tie up some bass poppers.

Yeah, if you got running water pushed through muffs you can run it, but if you have it in a barrel, the old fashioned way, you could heat it up.

Funny, though, is I have no interest in being on a boat unless there is some fishing going on. Especially fly fishing for bass and panfish. I need to get the fly tying stuff out again and tie up some bass poppers.

10-4 on the poppers for panfish and bass. That's why I'm so eager to get this running, right now is prime time.

Yes, in bucket the old fashioned way, I guess I'll go get the muffs so I can continue troubleshooting without ruining the engine.

Thanks all!

Anything to do with boats, I love. Sailing, fishing, cruising, skiing, tubing. Whatever...

But yah, poppers in the shallows around the end of May work great for panfish.

i have a 1946 (based on serial #) Firestone branded 7hp twin banger.

I hope to rip off the power head, and go electric with it.

(I designed my boat around this motor being 1/2 hidden in a well.)

going electric means i dont have to load up my gastank with molasses and chains.

Back