Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Siebel Institute of Technology Web Courses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
s2cmpugh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Would you say it's what you expected?

What are your future plans after completion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
davidflex
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhappy View Post
I have decided to take the Siebel Associates Program courses online. This provides the base theory and classroom part of the International Diploma, without the fun trip to Europe. I talked to a couple people that said I would already know 90% of the Concise course material and I didn't want to spend $3K on that so I figured if I am going to spend some money I might as well learn something with it.

The course looks pretty intimidating, I haven't been in school for over 5 yrs so it will be an adjustment. I am working full time as well.

As mentioned previously I am also doing this because I feel this will give comfort to some investors that they are not investing in someone who has not already made the commitment/investment themselves.

I'll post some updates as I go through the courses. First course starts Feb 27.
Hi.., I would like to join this online course, thanks for sharing with us. I am looking forward to read more updates from you. Keep posting!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This thread is perfect. Im thinking about doing this as well. Thanks so much for the updates.

Secondary: Black RyePA, Sour
Currently in Bottles: Zaporter part deux, Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter
Currently in Kegs: Donkey Milk Stout, Galaxy IPA

Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
brewhappy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

So I finished my first Module, the Raw Materials and Wort Production. I averaged a 94% on the quizzes, which is the only thing the grade is based on. You need an 80% average to pass the module. I am starting the next Module in a week or so.

Overall it has been much easier than I expected, and I did not have any chemistry or biology courses in High School or College to help me out. I think it is very expensive for what you get, however it is very hard to get even an entry level job in the industry without brewing school experience.

Another thing I forgot to mention previously was that every Tuesday night they do an optional class chat session. Everyone just jumps on and talks about the recent quizzes and anything else really. The instructors are usually on the chat and they will try to throw out some hard questions to get everyone thinking and discussing actual class material. But there is a bunch of general chit chat about everyone's brewing experiences as well, and it is neat to hear everyone's story. A number of the students in the class were already working at breweries, some were international students, a lot were looking to get into the industry like me. If you can't participate in the chat sessions the instructors do send out the transcript of the chat so you can read through what you missed.

I am glad I did not choose the Concise course. It must be easier than the actual Modules and I would have been mad at myself if I had paid the 3K+ for the intro class. I think doing the Associates Program is a great compromise. If you can do the full Diploma or Masters then by all means go for it. But if you can't live in Germany for 6 weeks and afford the extra $ then the Associates is the way to go.

The instructors are very knowledgeable. If you ask a question be prepared to get an very technical answer. However they will help walk you through it so you actually understand the answer.

Well I don't want to repeat myself and I'm not sure what other information would be helpful for people so I'm happy to answer any questions about the Siebel courses and program in general.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 153

How is this going? How much are you paying per module?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
brewhappy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just started the 2nd Module on Beer Production and Quality Control. I have not yet taken the first quiz for the module so I don't have any new information at this point.

The classes are about $3300 each, so basically $10,000 for the Associates Program. It's a ton of money. Especially considering Brewers' low pay.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Where are you looking to land with the associates? Are you hoping to get in with a local brewery?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
brewhappy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I am moving back home with my wife and looking to work in a production brewery or brewpub.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Hey brewhappy, I am in the same position as you were in awhile back. I really want to get some formal education along with some hands on training doing volunteer work. I have been looking at both the concise course and the associates and I can only do online courses. Would you say the program has helped you out to get into the industry or would you suggest something else?

"Relax, dont worry, have a homebrew." -Charlie Papazian
"A friend with yeast is a friend indeed."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
brewhappy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have not really tried to get into the industry yet. I have applied at one place for an assistant job and they were very likely to hire me. However they were expanding due to a change in law and they bill that allowed them to expand died in the legislature. So they can't expand and hire me. I have volunteered at a brewery that is starting up but they are not yet open to the public or brewing. As far as getting into the industry I think networking goes a long way. It really helps to know some people and have them introduce you to someone else or meet people at a different events. Once people see your face around enough they tend to feel you are more vetted than someone they've never met. So definitely get out there an meet people.

I think once I have the degree in hand and I can devote time to the job search it will be a huge help.

Quick Reply