Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Sherlock Holmes (DOWNEY JR)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #21
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
We did? I need evidence! Dispense of the obvious, whatever remains will be the truth. (Short and dumb version)

We did!!.............but I can't find it. Probably started out as a discussion about peanuts, toilet seats, fish food or maybe Pamela Anderson and somehow became a discussion about SH and Poirot.

Why do people do that, you know, get off topic???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
And I thought all this time that I was the only Sherlock Holmes geek.
Same here!

Despite the fictionality of it, his methods can actually work. Last year at a community I was working in, I had heard that a woman got mugged the night before (forced into her home at gun point and they stole a laptop, stereo, etc.) and the police came out and did their investigation, which was apparently worse than Lestrade.

So, I put on my Holmes hat (figuratively) and started snooping around. I looked around the fenced-in community for the most likely escape route and right where I thought they would jump the fence (a small clearing in the trees overhanging the fence a good distance from the scene of the crime) I looked down and laying in the grass was a CD. It was Vivaldi. I figured it unlikely that anyone in the adjacent Section 8 housing area would be listening to Vivaldi. It ended up being from the woman's stereo system.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I can, however, say with some certainty, that SH and the good DR never beat up a whole gang of deuchey bad guys all batman style, just in time for the inspector to show up.
I may watch the movie when I've finished re-reading the series (AKA The Canon if you're even geekier than I am).

Holmes was described as "an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman"; he only rarely gets into fights. I've seen some speculation that this is because Doyle didn't want to be compared to popular literature that did emphasize fighting.

Now that I think about it, if Holmes *is* getting into a lot of fights that's going against portrayal in the stories. He has some occasional references, but not a lot. The three biggest fight refereneces I can recall are in "The Sign of Four" (Holmes is recognized as a talented boxer), "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist" (see below for full quote) and "The Adventure of the Empty House".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
He had a fine flow of language, and his adjectives were very vigorous. He ended a string of abuse by a vicious backhander, which I failed to entirely avoid. The next few minutes were delicious. It was a straight left against a slogging ruffian. I emerged as you see me. Mr. Woodley went home in a cart.
The argument could be made that Holmes was a good fighter; Watson I'd be more doubtful of. He tends to carry a gun and had some vague issues with his war wound.

And as to me being a Holmes geek, well, I seem to be congenitally incapable of enjoying something without wanting to know everything about it.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #24
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did see the movie and although not in the style I would like to have seen it was not bad.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #25
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We agree - That movie sucked!

Had so much potential.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2431 Times on 1717 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I thought the movie was very enjoyable. But since I have never read the books, I have no basis of comparison. Parts of the movie were just a bit "Overzealous", but I managed to take it in stride and thought it was somewhat clever, and fairly humourous.

A typical Hollywoodizing of a book series, but not the worst I've seen, I'm sure, and still enjoyable on it's own. Once I get done with Donaldson's Covenant series, I may pick up the Sherlock Holmes stories and check them out.

And remember that while we consider the books to be "classics", in their time, they were pop culture.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphector View Post
I may watch the movie when I've finished re-reading the series (AKA The Canon if you're even geekier than I am).

Holmes was described as "an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman"; he only rarely gets into fights. I've seen some speculation that this is because Doyle didn't want to be compared to popular literature that did emphasize fighting.

Now that I think about it, if Holmes *is* getting into a lot of fights that's going against portrayal in the stories. He has some occasional references, but not a lot. The three biggest fight refereneces I can recall are in "The Sign of Four" (Holmes is recognized as a talented boxer), "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist" (see below for full quote) and "The Adventure of the Empty House".

The argument could be made that Holmes was a good fighter; Watson I'd be more doubtful of. He tends to carry a gun and had some vague issues with his war wound.

And as to me being a Holmes geek, well, I seem to be congenitally incapable of enjoying something without wanting to know everything about it.
That have jumped the bad guy on more than one occasion in order to capture them. e.g. A Study in Scarlet

Old 06-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
That have jumped the bad guy on more than one occasion in order to capture them. e.g. A Study in Scarlet
Yeah, it's not like SH is supposed to be an invalid, or Watson retarded. I think the problem with the film (Which I enjoyed on it's own merits) Is that it just makes this classic character just like every other Hollywood action hero. We've seen it all before.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #29
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 135 Posts

Well said, LGI. The beauty of Sherlock Holmes is that he wins with intellect, not brawn.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #30
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Except Downey Jr. has been in several movies since 'the abyss' besides Ironman.

Example: The Soloist (with Jaime Foxx)

Yes, the movie was a far reach from the classic tale.

What else would you expect from Hollywood?

if you want a story told right, see an indie flick

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS