Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Sherlock Holmes (DOWNEY JR)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default Sherlock Holmes (DOWNEY JR)

Take an almost historical beloved character from fiction, known for his composure, wit and incredible intellect.

Seamlessly transform him into a martial arts master and action hero who is slightly unstable and misunderstood in his brilliance,(which Downey is at extreme risk of being type-cast in only his second role back from the abyss) give him a taste for cage fighting and a side kick.

Imagine sherlock and Dr Watson (the portly and......I mean the ever sexy jude law....) in a film of punching and fighting, where sherlock and watson beat up whole gangs for an appetizer, before holmes beats up some huge guy in the 17th century version of a cage match for the main course.......where 19th century England is cool as $hit, and everyone is awesome.

If this sounds good to you, turn off the justin timberlake you are listening to, grab some ice cold budweiser, and settle in for a good time.

For those of you who are doubtful but figure "Well, Iron man was SO good! SO......I will give this movie a shot."

Turn back now.

I lasted 40 minutes or so.

PHUCK THIS MOVIE.

HORRIBLE.

Last edited by cheezydemon3; 06-22-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I see you are a Basil Rathbone fan as well? Good career choice for Downey Jr. Bad bad bad interpretation of Holmes.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So, movies snobs too...

Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why did they use a Yank? What's up with the Kung Fu? I doubt if A.C. Doyle would approve.

Anyone seen the semi-recent BBC series with Jeremy Brett? Absolutely outstanding!! (Instant Watch on Netflix)

As for Iron Man, I saw it last week. What a disappointment. Just a long series of cliches.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Why did they use a Yank? What's up with the Kung Fu? I doubt if A.C. Doyle would approve.

Anyone seen the semi-recent BBC series with Jeremy Brett? Absolutely outstanding!! (Instant Watch on Netflix)

As for Iron Man, I saw it last week. What a disappointment. Just a long series of cliches.
We stream through the Wii, thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
So, movies snobs too...
Really, I guess it is the potential that a movie has to be really great, that is not only left on the floor, but trampled, impaled, and spat upon that upsets me.

And yeah, I refuse to watch crap. What's the problem?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
BraveSirRobin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree, Sherlock Holmes was such a huge letdown for me.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Take an almost historical beloved character from fiction, known for his composure, wit and incredible intellect.

Seamlessly transform him into a martial arts master and action hero who is slightly unstable and misunderstood in his brilliance,(which Downey is at extreme risk of being type-cast in only his second role back from the abyss) give him a taste for cage fighting and a side kick.

Imagine sherlock and Dr Watson (the portly and......I mean the ever sexy jude law....) in a film of punching and fighting, where sherlock and watson beat up whole gangs for an appetizer, before holmes beats up some huge guy in the 17th century version of a cage match for the main course.......where 19th century England is cool as $hit, and everyone is awesome.

If this sounds good to you, turn off the justin timberlake you are listening to, grab some ice cold budweiser, and settle in for a good time.

For those of you who are doubtful but figure "Well, Iron man was SO good! SO......I will give this movie a shot."

Turn back now.

I lasted 40 minutes or so.

PHUCK THIS MOVIE.

HORRIBLE.
Go to your local bookstore and for like $10-$20 you can pick up everything Doyle ever wrote about Holmes. Then go home and actually read it. Your impression of him will change significantly. I do agree that Watson was grossly mis-characterized but Holmes was very viable given the source material. He wasn't "cage fighting." He was bareknuckle boxing and yeah, he did that in at least one story I can recall. In fact, in that one I'm thinking of (had to look up the title: The Sign of the Four), he alludes to bareknuckle as something of a hobby. There is also ample mention of Holmes' prowess with swords and short staff-style weaponry. There is also extensive reference to Holmes using martial arts, but most of what I recall there comes from after his "cliffhanger" with Moriarty. It wasn't my favorite version of Holmes but I personally had no problem with how he was portrayed. If anything, the Guy Ritchie rendition is just a bit of a backlash at decades of film and TV that completely ignore this side of Holmes' character.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 60

The Jeremy Brett series is fantastic...

I haven't seen the film yet, but from everything I've heard it's actually close to the character as portrayed in the books.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post

Jeremy Brett was awesome in that role, the best one ever. Such a shame he died, I wish they had made more of them but I can watch them over and over again they are so good. I love the way he would wave his hand to dismiss someone once he was done with them, a polite "Please go away now"

Do you like the Poirot series with David Suchet? Another of my all time favorite characters. The setting and costumes make you feel you are really watching people living in those times.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Big Holmes fan here... not in a ridiculously geeky way, but let's just say I've actually been to Reichenbach Falls.

Jeremy Brett was by far the quintessential Holmes. Both of the Watsons were also pretty good in those films/shows, but I prefer the earlier one better. I own most of the Jeremy Brett series... except for Hound of the Baskervilles, which was a bit of a disappointment for Brett. And he is difficult to watch in The Eligible Bachelor and some of the other later episodes due to his declining health.

I must admit I was entertained by the Robert Downey Holmes movie, but it was definitely not true to the character of Holmes in Doyle's books. (His slovenly dress was so anti-Victorian and not characteristic of the gentleman Holmes). But compared to the other crap spewed forth by the modern commercial film industry, it was at least a fun watch.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply