Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Sending Out an SOS, Sending out and SOS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Sending Out an SOS, Sending out and SOS

The SOS signal turns 100
Quote:

London: ‘SOS’ the Morse code signal that has saved thousands of lives over the years, has turned 100 years old on Tuesday.

It was adopted globally as the recognised distress signal for ships at sea exactly a century ago on July 1, 1908.

Until then, the most commonly used signal was the “CQD”, which held the danger of being interpreted differently.

After a lot of discussions, the ‘SOS’, which consisted of three dots, three dashes and three more dots was selected, reports Times Online.

The signal’s success began a year later in 1909 when the Cunard liner the SS Slavonia was stricken off the Azores, and sent out an SOS signal. Tragedy was averted and no life was lost.

However, some ships and boats continued to use the CQD.

The need for a universal code was eventually recognised with the tragedy of the Titanic in April 1912.

After the ship hit an iceberg, its radio operators sent out both the old CQD and the new SOS signals.

However, ships in the area ignored both thinking the Titanic was having a party. It was only after the loss of lives measured up to 1,500 that the new SOS distress signal was rarely ignored.
A little music in honor of this!

[youtube]V4JEmz4FoJE[/youtube]

[youtube]MeQ2yXE1mpU[/youtube]

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

... _ _ _ ...

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
... _ _ _ ...
.... .- .--. .--. -.-- .... ..- -. -.. .-. . - .... -... .. .-. - .... -.. .- -.-- ... --- ...

(Happy Hundreth Birthday SOS)

Compliments of the Online Morse Code COnverter.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm

Which translate "Yooper is a Hottie" as:

-.-- --- --- .--. . .-. .. ... .- .... --- - - .. .

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Trivial Trivia: Other than profanity, for obvious reasons, you can name a boat anything you want except Mayday and SOS...

Did anyone see the video about the German Coast Guard at the radio and someone came over the air saying "SOS...MAYDAY..."

The young sailor says "This is the German Coast Guard how may I help you?"

The reply was "SOS...we are sinking!"

The German's reply was "what are you sinking about?"

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 07-03-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Trivial Trivia: Other than profanity, for obvious reasons, you can name a boat anything you want except Mayday and SOS...

Did anyone see the video about the German Coast Guard at the radio and someone came over the air saying "SOS...MAYDAY..."

The young sailor says "This is the German Coast Guard how may I help you?"

The reply was "SOS...we are sinking!"

The German's reply was "what are you sinking about?"
lol That was the stupidest joke ive heard in about ten years but yet i cant stop laughing

Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

You mean this one....

[youtube]Xe9N-1ZYGmo[/youtube]

ROFLMAO!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BINGO!!!! That's the one...

Quick Reply