The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Selling beer, the legal way?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
trinitone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

No joke. I am fairly new to PA and I am having a hard time adjusting. I mean, having to go to 2 different places to get a six pack AND a case.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitone
No joke. I am fairly new to PA and I am having a hard time adjusting. I mean, having to go to 2 different places to get a six pack AND a case.
If you drink wine it adds a whole other level of fun. Trust me this state sucks on many levels, If my family was not all here I would have moved by now.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey come on now, this state isn't so bad... you can just go to Delaware or Virginia for the booze

Anyway if you read through those liquor laws, you can see some interesting things. I noticed one section referencing a law from 1925, saying that all beer must be sold in quantities amounting to at least a case worth of bottles or more.

That law screws us in so many ways... six packs can only be purchased from bars at a hefty markup... beer cannot be sold by the bottle at all...

Also I thought the direct wine shipping policy was hilarious too. You can't order directly from places like wine.com, but if you find a wine that you can't buy from the PLCB, you can have wine.com ship to your local state store, where they will charge you an additional $4.50 handling fee, Pennsylvania's 18% liquor tax, 6% sales tax (and 1% sales tax in Philadelphia & Allegheny counties).

I'd love to see these laws change but I doubt they will in my lifetime... no politician is going to waste his time on stuff like this.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I was assuming the references to selling a case or more were to ensure that this was truly a wholesale distribution outlet, that you would need a different type of license to sell direct to the public.

Massachusetts FINALLY has a proposition on the ballot to allow the sale of wine in grocery stores. I still can't figure out our laws - because about one out of every four grocery stores DOES sell beer and wine (and a couple sell hard liquor as well). I've given up trying to understand our blue laws...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
trinitone

Recipes 

Quote:
Also I thought the direct wine shipping policy was hilarious too. You can't order directly from places like wine.com, but if you find a wine that you can't buy from the PLCB, you can have wine.com ship to your local state store, where they will charge you an additional $4.50 handling fee, Pennsylvania's 18% liquor tax, 6% sales tax (and 1% sales tax in Philadelphia & Allegheny counties).
And a PLCB employee will go over your order with you to make sure you received everything you were supposed to. (And nothing you weren't!)

Quote:
I was assuming the references to selling a case or more were to ensure that this was truly a wholesale distribution outlet, that you would need a different type of license to sell direct to the public.
No, here in PA, the public can buy at the wholesaler. We just have to buy at least 128 oz. IF we want less, we have to go to a Deli. WTF?
Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Quick Reply