Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Selling beer, the legal way?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Selling beer, the legal way?

Does anyone have a ballpark what it would cost to be able to legally sell brew? I'm in PA if you know for this state but I'd like to know in general.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't know the answer but I did a quick Google search which took me to the PLCB website. There's some legalese here but no straight-up dollar amount. I would imagine that it's not an easy thing to do in this state, from what I understand our liquor laws are pretty strict.

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/plcb/cwp/view.asp?a=1334&Q=546199#sect431

Old 10-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryser2k
I didn't know the answer but I did a quick Google search which took me to the PLCB website. There's some legalese here but no straight-up dollar amount. I would imagine that it's not an easy thing to do in this state, from what I understand our liquor laws are pretty strict.

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/plcb/cwp/view.asp?a=1334&Q=546199#sect431

WOW, so are we suppose to understand that? I'm getting that it will cost about $600 if I need the import liscense which I don't know if I need or not. And I could not sell anything less than a case..

Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It would probably cost you $3-4,000 in Oregon. Some states, every batch has to be tested for ABV & volume. Others (Oregon included) the State has to approve each label. Unless you have a 4 barrel setup, it would be tough to break even.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
It would probably cost you $3-4,000 in Oregon. Some states, every batch has to be tested for ABV & volume. Others (Oregon included) the State has to approve each label. Unless you have a 4 barrel setup, it would be tough to break even.

yeah that was what I'm trying to find out. Ideally I'd like to just be able to sell to my freinds and others to pay for equipment and stuff.

I emailed the lcb to find out some details, I can't make any sense from their website. Everything I found is geared towards very large business, although if the fees are like I think then I see why. Plus I'm not positive but we have a maximum number of licenses for each area and they can sell for many, many thousands of dollars.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Real easy way around that, have your friends buy the makings. They can "rent" the gear & pay you for storage & bottling. So long as you aren't selling the finished product, you don't get the state involved.

Out here, we call them "brew your own" shops.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For Sale: 1 Case of 22 ounce beer bottles - $20. Contents unknown

Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Response from LCB.

In order to have a license for a brew pub you must have a brewery. The Brewery License Application fee is &700.00 and the License fee is $1425.00 prorated quarterly, for a new license and to transfer an existing license the fee is $550.00 - $700.00 depending on the type of transfer. The Liquor Code states in part (you can read it in it's entirety on our website):

SECTION 446. BREWERIES. -
Holders of a brewery license may:

(1) Sell malt or brewed beverages produced and owned by the brewery on the licensed premises under such conditions and regulations as the board may enforce, to individuals for consumption on the premises and to hotel, restaurant, club and public service liquor licensees.

(2) Operate a restaurant or brewery pub on the licensed premises under such conditions and regulations as the board may enforce: Provided, however, That sales on Sunday may be made irrespective of the volume of food sales if the licensed premises are at a stadium or arena location. The holder of a brewery license may sell at its brewery pub premises Pennsylvania wines it has purchased from either the holder of a Pennsylvania limited winery license or from the board; provided, however, that said wines must be consumed at the licensed brewery pub premises.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
trinitone

Recipes 

The PLCB beat me to it. I was just writing this...

ryser2k is right about these f'd up liquor laws. I did a little research into this before, and it ain't easy. You would probably first need a license to manufacture. That's a filing fee of $700. plus $1425 for a brewery license. Plus the fees for your criminal background check and blue prints of the plant, property and apparatus.

Then there is the retail license. (which you would probably need for off-premises sales) From what I can tell, getting a new one requires an act of congress. Literally. Otherwise, you have to locate an exisiting one to purchase. I'm not sure exactly what retail licenses are going for, but I've seen bar/tavern licenses selling for up to $180k.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #10
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitone
The PLCB beat me to it. I was just writing this...

ryser2k is right about these f'd up liquor laws. I did a little research into this before, and it ain't easy. You would probably first need a license to manufacture. That's a filing fee of $700. plus $1425 for a brewery license. Plus the fees for your criminal background check and blue prints of the plant, property and apparatus.

Then there is the retail license. (which you would probably need for off-premises sales) From what I can tell, getting a new one requires an act of congress. Literally. Otherwise, you have to locate an exisiting one to purchase. I'm not sure exactly what retail licenses are going for, but I've seen bar/tavern licenses selling for up to $180k.
Yeah I love this state.

Quick Reply