Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Self Serving Cheese Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My parents have really gotten into wine and cheese as they have gotten older -- I love a layered brie with cranberries and/or nuts in it. Also smoked havarti and my all-time favorite is probably Gorgonzola.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1749 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 2968

SWMBO "Cheesy Goodness" here- we are so enjoying all your responses! I have a question for you. What cheeses do you prefer cooking with or using on prepared foods such as sandwiches vs.... cheese as it's own thing served with a little wine maybe....or a little honey?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

OK first to the mr's question:

I like a good parm. A nice sharp peccorino Romano is right up there too, as is a nice sharp provolone. Vermont extra sharp cheddar rocks. (not NY or WI, Vt!) Smoked cheddar is awesome. Feta rocks. Not fond of most soft or mild cheeses, with the exception of mozz. cant stand blues or swiss.

As to what I cook with, most of all of the above. I love making a "Rubini" with pastrami, provolone and kraut and a nice coarse mustard on seeded rye. A great pizza is thin as all get out, brushed with garlic infused evoo, then topped with sun dried tomatoes, pitted sliced kalamata olives, feta, light sprinkling of fresh oregano, then covered with razor thin slices of mozz. bake till the crust just crisps up. nuggets of salty creamy goodness!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

manchego or a good crystally crunchy parm are my current faves

Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #15
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I cook a lot with parmesan and gruyere. Not necessarily in the same dish, but I've done that, too. I also like to use soft cheeses a lot in sauces. Ricotta, cream cheese, chevre, cottage cheese, etc. can really kick a dish up a notch by adding a depth of flavor and mouthfeel that is hard to get otherwise, although sour cream, yogurt, or creme fraiche can work too. I especially like it added to a spicy dish like a curry or chili where if you do it right, it just adds a bit of flavor and thickness to the texture, but nobody can figure out why it tastes so good.

Quick Reply