Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Secondary with blow off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Secondary with blow off?

On recent brews I've skipped the primary fermenter and have gone directly to the secondary. So far this has turned out just fine. I know people say the secondary is not necessary but I'm skeptical, especially when the primaries are getting washed and I just need to move pre-aging forward into the fermentation/signs of fermentation phase. I use 3 gallon carboys for secondaries. For primaries, I only have a 11 liter glass container which is being cleaned. I am thinking about upgrading my vessels to greater ones so that I can stop using blow off tubes in my secondaries.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

This is a joke, right?

if not...your yeast do not care what vessel they're in - they're going to get to work in the first vessel you leave them alone in. You can call that vessel "Lake Placid" - -they don't care. It's performing PRIMARY fermentation, regardless of the name. Secondary is not a fermentation, but a 'resting' phase where the yeast can settle out (floculate) and the beer can clear. This occurs no matter what vessel they're in. It's all about TIME.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I'm confused by your terminology. There's no such thing as "going directly to secondary." It's only a "secondary" if there has been a primary. What you are describing is a long primary with NO secondary, not "all secondary."

I think you are referring to a carboy as "secondary," but the term refers to what's happening in the vessel, not what type of vessel it is.

If your question is "Can I use a blowoff tube in a carboy?" then the answer is yes, that's perfectly fine.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Lol You have 914 posts and you don't realize what a secondary is?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2683 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 5848

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Lol You have 914 posts and you don't realize what a secondary is?
Since when did post count equate to brewing experience and/or knowledge of terminology?

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

StoutMeister Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
PagodaBrewingCo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Regardless, it's still amusing.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PagodaBrewingCo View Post
Regardless, it's still amusing.
Not really. I admit, I was confused by the question at first, but I didn't laugh to myself or feel the need to publicly bash the OP. We're supposed to be fostering a culture where new brewers don't need to be afraid to ask a "stupid question" for fear of being made fun of by elitist a$$hats.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. To the OP, I agree with all the legitimate responses you've been given so far. I don't have any additional information to add, just putting in my affirmation that I feel the advice you've been given is sound. Cheers!

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

StoutMeister Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. And for the record, I don't feel bashed. This has been an enlightening thread for me. Again.. thank you. I have decided that I will stop using primaries permanently and only use secondary vessels. I truly believe primaries are not necessary and are a thing of the past before the internet was invented. We should all be using secondaries and sometimes tertiaries for aging and mad adjuncts like fruit and vanilla beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
your yeast do not care what vessel they're in - they're going to get to work in the first vessel you leave them alone in. You can call that vessel "Lake Placid" - -they don't care.
Well, I don't know what your yeast is like but I'm pretty sure mine do care what I call the vessel they're in. Because they can feel my mood and intention, I try to stop them from reading my mind by playing soft music near them. I encourage you should try it. The problem now is I don't know what kind of music they like; however I have reviewed evidence they prefer non-lossy audio compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadyKilowatt View Post
If your question is "Can I use a blowoff tube in a carboy?" then the answer is yes, that's perfectly fine.
I must use blowoffs (blow-off tubes) or the bung will pop and make a huge mess from the frothing krausen. I was only suggesting that I will have to upgrade to larger vessels for my secondaries so that I can stop using these tubes which aren't just hard to clean but add the chance of infection.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My yeast get excited when I watch them have sex. I bet soft music would be better..for both of us.

Did you know that Al Gore invented secondaries?

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. And for the record, I don't feel bashed. This has been an enlightening thread for me. Again.. thank you. I have decided that I will stop using primaries permanently and only use secondary vessels. I truly believe primaries are not necessary and are a thing of the past before the internet was invented. We should all be using secondaries and sometimes tertiaries for aging and mad adjuncts like fruit and vanilla beans.
1) Without a primary you don't have beer. Going "straight to secondary" is like putting your wort in a fermenter and then not adding yeast. You have to ferment your wort and that is accomplished by a primary.

2) This is starting to sound suspiciously like a troll thread.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

jakenbacon Likes This 

Quick Reply