The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > scotch suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default scotch suggestions

I am thinking I'd like to diversify my experiences with liquor. I drink mostly beer, and occasionally some crown. I want to try some scotch, but have no clue where to start. Anyone want to suggest a quality, affordable scotch to start out with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-love View Post
I am thinking I'd like to diversify my experiences with liquor. I drink mostly beer, and occasionally some crown. I want to try some scotch, but have no clue where to start. Anyone want to suggest a quality, affordable scotch to start out with?
If you haven't had Scotch before, it's not a bad idea to start with the blended ones. Dewar's, Johnny Walker Red, etc. From there, if you decide you like Scotch it's worth exploring the different areas where Scotches are made. For example, Islay Scotch (i.e. Laphroaig) is very smoky from the peat used. Speyside produces a sweeter more grassy Scotch. I would say if you like the taste of the blends try something like The Glenlivet ("Any Glen" - Mikey from Swingers). That's a decent single malt that won't break the bank.

Personally my favorites are The MacAllan 12 year, Laphroaig, and Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. Very different styles, but all very tasty.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Before buying a bottle I suggest going out to try a few different ones. Low, medium, and higher-end type of thing. It's a WAY different flavor than Crown, or other whiskey/whiskys.

What defines affordable?

FWIW, The Macallan 12 is one I have for guests, although I don't particularly care for Scotch myself; more of an Irish whiskey man. In the latter I try to keep a bottle of Redbreast 12 and or Bushmills 16 on hand, which are quite different from each other.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would definitely suggest Johnny Walker Black if you are buying a bottle for the house. When it comes to single malts you need to go to a bar that has lots of scotches and bartenders that know the differences. If you have an Irish pub nearby that would be a good place to start.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

CityOChampBrew Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Before buying a bottle I suggest going out to try a few different ones. Low, medium, and higher-end type of thing. It's a WAY different flavor than Crown, or other whiskey/whiskys.

That defines affordable?

FWIW, The Macallan 12 is one I have for guests, although I don't particularly care for Scotch myself; more of an Irish whisky man. In the latter I try to keep a bottle of Redbreast 12 and or Bushmills 16 on hand, which are quite different from each other.

Agreed. Irish whiskey is tremendous as well. Especially Redbreast.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-love
I love scotch! My daily drink is Clan MacGregor which is a cheap, blended scotch that comes in a green plastic 1.75L bottle. If you are looking to try something a bit higher in quality, go for something like The Glenlivet, The MacAllan, or Aberlour. They all make single malts that are not terribly smoky or peaty, but still have a great single malt flavour profile. If you want to try a real peaty, smoky scotch get a bottle if Laphroaig. That is like being hit in the mouth with a block of peat. I like it, but only in small amounts and only a few times a year. As far as price goes, if you are paying for Crown, the price of a decent single malt or blended will not be a shock.

Slainte!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I would definitely suggest Johnny Walker Black if you are buying a bottle for the house. When it comes to single malts you need to go to a bar that has lots of scotches and bartenders that know the differences. If you have an Irish pub nearby that would be a good place to start.
I like that suggestion. It's just that I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have a bar like that available. I'll definitely try to hit one up next time I head to the city (I go once a month or so), which for me would be DC/Baltimore area.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

^^^
Just be careful when going into an Irish bar asking for Scotch whisky...

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

justkev52 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or.
This.

Delicious and pretty reasonable. Very approachable for a new scotch drinker too. I got my father (who typically only drinks red wine) a bottle of this for his bar and he's hooked now.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

What defines affordable?

FWIW, The Macallan 12 is one I have for guests, although I don't particularly care for Scotch myself; more of an Irish whisky man. In the latter I try to keep a bottle of Redbreast 12 and or Bushmills 16 on hand, which are quite different from each other.
Thanks man. I know that Crown and Scotch don't taste the same. I guess I was just trying to say that's all I really drink outside of beer at this point. I don't have any friends that drink Scotch and only a few that drink beer that isn't BMC. You guys are always a good source of ideas.

Quick Reply