Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > This is scary - Micropub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Default This is scary - Micropub

http://www.micropub.com/

When using the MICROPUB® Brewing Station, the most difficult and time consuming steps of the brewing process are already done for you. Under the supervision of our Brewmaster, the worts are produced to our specifications, then reduced to 80% solids by removing the water inside a vacuum allowing easy shipment and storage. This process maintains the delicate balance of the wort. You introduce the Concentrated Wort Extract (CWE) into your MICROPUB® Brew Kettle with water, and boil. You then add our special blend of Hops provided with each batch kit to add flavor and aroma. The brewing stage is now complete.

It's the Mr. Beer of Brewpubs.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, I don't know. I've had some pretty horrible all grain brews and some pretty good extract brews. I don't particularly agree that a brewpub should really be brewing extract, but it's not the worst thing that can happen as long as the end product is drinkable.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

It's turning a brewpub into a standardized product. It's like going to a steakhouse, ordering a T-bone, and having them turn around and pull a pre-cooked one out from under the heat lamps.

Brewpubs should be showcases of great beer. They should take pride in what they brew and their head brewer should be the crown jewel of the establishment.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

GarageDweller Likes This 
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Extract based brewing at the pro level just isn't cost effective either, but people keep selling the gear.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Years ago I went to a pub with this concept with Michael Jackson, the write, not the boy toucher, and it was really bland. What Jackson pointed out was it takes away the creativity of the brewer, the uniqueness of the pub and the freshness of product produced fresh on hand.

I will be surprised if the idea flies.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Isn't this the same thing that places like granite city do? I watched a huge liquid tanker pull up to the restraunt in Lincoln and hook this giant hose up to a fixture in the wall. I asked this dude who introduced himself as the head brewer there and he said it was the wort that they make some place in Iowa and ship to all of their franchised locations. I suppose it keeps the beer tasting identical no matter where you drink it. So by head brewer he meant yeast adder and fermentation tank cleaner.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yea, this seems like a strange idea. I would absolutely agree with the King of Pop about this process mostly removing the art of brewing and freshness from the "brew pub" - and to be honest I just don't see what the big whoop is. If you are going to invest the money to start a brew pub, why not just go all the way and actualy make the beer yourself?!? It just seems very half-assed.

...Though it reminds me of a few years back when I had a transmission replaced in my Chevy Caprice. I went to pick it up and the mechanic told me "It wasn't back yet" - which blew my mind. They were actually sending the car to another business to do the work. After a brief argument (my point what that either HE is making nothing, or the actual job cost is being marked up so both businesses benefit) I found myself driving across town to pay for and pick up the car from the people who actually did the work.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
What Jackson pointed out was it takes away the creativity of the brewer, the uniqueness of the pub and the freshness of product produced fresh on hand.
Seriously, and that is pretty much what the whole concept of a brewpub is in a nutshell.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hmm, I wonder....

You know in some states owning a brewery license is a way to serve your own product without aquiring a liquor license. I wonder if this ties into that somehow. Whereas in one area a liquor license might be untouchable in terms of price, a brewery license may not. Just a thought.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You know what's funny about Granite City? Supposedly they don't add their yeast until the wort gets to the final destination. Apparently if yeast is pitched before it crosses the state line it's considered beer and they would have to pay a federal tax or something to that effect.

Sounds to me like it's a good way to get an infection. I do have to say that their beer is fairly unremarkable.

This Micropub thing sounds like something someone would do if they don't give a crap about brewing, but want to run a brewpub because they think it will be a good business investment.

Quick Reply