Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Saxophone Solos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Off topic but that is a pretty cool band if you never heard them before, I think it is an acquired taste though and may take some time to warm up to. Released their first album in 78 and their music if often tongue in cheek and the loose bar band style. They are kind of an eclectic band but definitely not anything close to hard rock. Some songs I love, some I hate. I would recommend their first album for a first time listener, "At Yankee Stadium", but it is a studio album.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
All I found on you tube was this:

Pretty cool but no sax.
Might be hard to find on Youtube. Buddy Rich is a drummer, so most of the searches come up with his drum solos. The original recorded version has an awesome sax solo. I'll see if I can track it down.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Off topic but that is a pretty cool band if you never heard them before, I think it is an acquired taste though and may take some time to warm up to. Released their first album in 78 and their music if often tongue in cheek and the loose bar band style. They are kind of an eclectic band but definitely not anything close to hard rock. Some songs I love, some I hate. I would recommend their first album for a first time listener, "At Yankee Stadium", but it is a studio album.
OOPS!

I somehow cut out the first line so here it goes!

The NRBQ song with the neat sax solo is called "Mouthwatern'" on "God Save Us All.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Might be hard to find on Youtube. Buddy Rich is a drummer, so most of the searches come up with his drum solos. The original recorded version has an awesome sax solo. I'll see if I can track it down.
Yeah, I know who he is. I remember as a kid seeing him on the tonight show with Johnny Carson.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post

Wow, just wanted to see how old you are being a Buddy Rich fan I notice you were born about the same time he died.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dexter Gordon takes a solo on Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" that kicks ass. (Takin' Off, Blue Note Records)

Never was a big Coltrane fan. Especially when he plays soprano. You know who else plays sissy-phone? (soprano sax) Kenny G.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Dexter Gordon takes a solo on Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" that kicks ass. (Takin' Off, Blue Note Records)

Never was a big Coltrane fan. Especially when he plays soprano. You know who else plays sissy-phone? (soprano sax) Kenny G.
Found it on you tube, I like they way it started and ended and the middle was nice too but really reminded me of the theme song for Barney Miller. I even checked to see if he wrote it but no.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If we're talking non-Jazz sax solos then I go for Bobby Keys on The Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'".

By the way, imho, Coltrane and Kenny G. should not be on the same page, let alone sentence.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So the idea is non-jazz saxophone solos? Hmmm... that's a tough one, since mostly when sax players play on rock albums they go for some cheesy-ass **** (IMO, of course. YMMV). But, yes, Bobby Keys on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" is a good place to go. I'd also recommend Steve Mackay on The Stooges "Fun House" record. That one'll peel some paint off the walls.

Also Phil Woods (a great jazz player) plays a decent solo on Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are." Don't know how close to jazz you're willing to get, but of course there are a ton of great sax solos on funk records - Maceo Parker pretty much always slays it with James Brown or on his own; Lenny Picket burns on a bunch of Tower of Power albums, etc.

Now if you're looking for great jazz sax solos, some of my all-time favorites are:
Sonny Rollins playing "St. Thomas"
Trane playing "Afro Blue" from Live at Birdland
Charlie Parker playing anything (but "Ornithology" or "Confirmation" are both good starting points)
Wayne Shorter all throughout Miles' "Live at the Plugged Nickel"

damn, I could go on forever with that list. Gotta be careful not to jack the thread.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Found it on you tube, I like they way it started and ended and the middle was nice too but really reminded me of the theme song for Barney Miller. I even checked to see if he wrote it but no.

Barney Miller? Seriously? You must have listened to a different version.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Quick Reply