Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > San Antonio, TX

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
ArroganceFan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default San Antonio, TX

I have a potential opportunity to move up within my company, but the promotion would mean a move to San Antonio, and I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me what life is like there. I am currently in central ohio, so it would be quite a change.

My company is located just north west of the airport near Woodstone. Anyone know anything about that area? What is housing like, hows the crime, what kind of stuff is there to do (other then brew ), whats the culture like etc...

Any info is appreciated .

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Overall, San Antonio is a nice place to live. The area you're referring to (north of the airport) is nice. Basically, anything north of 410 is guaranteed to be at least decent. Crime is really only a problem on the southside (primarily) and eastside of town. We get random teenagers occasionally vandalizing stuff but that's about it. My girlfriend works at KENS5 so I get hear all about it.

A couple of things to keep in mind - it's hot (95+F) 9 months out of the year (but not as humid as Houston), the culture is Hispanic dominated (may be good or bad depending on your preference), traffic on 1604 (outer loop) gets pretty damn bad around rush hour, and we're heavy on the restaurant chains (not quite as eclectic as some would like). The inner loop (410) usually flows much better during rush hour.

That said, the traffic is usually quite reasonable (compared to other large cities), the housing is well priced, the people are generally friendly (somewhat small town attitude), lots of good tex-mex to choose from, and we haven't been affected too much by the ongoing recession.

As far as things to do, there are tons of sport leagues (if you're into that), 3 IMAX theatres and one independent movie theater, gaming places like Dave and Busters, Bexar Brewers , a reasonable mix of good-to-high-end restaurants, and, of course, the downtown scene. My friends and I rarely find ourselves downtown, it's basically a tourist trap. But they do have a couple of good bars (Pat O'Briens, Howl at the Moon, etc.). We normally end up at good beer bars like Freetail, Flying Saucer, Blue Star, Stonewerks, etc.

Let me know if you have anymore questions...I've only lived here for ~5 years, but I've lived in Texas my whole life...

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply Iamarguy! Thats good to hear and makes me feel a lot better applying for the job.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
JMG680
Recipes 

I live on the NE side of SA now but lived over by the airport for years. I love SA and never want to have to leave. Crime is not bad in the area, homes will be good priced and apartments go from cheap to high depending on what you want. Only 2 or 3 brew pubs and the LHBS is lacking, so I got to Austin for that. If you need someone to get you prices or pics on an area I am up for it. I do that for the new Military guys coming to the base and would help you out, just hit me up with what you would like.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG680 View Post
Only 2 or 3 brew pubs and the LHBS is lacking, so I got to Austin for that.
Have you visited Homebrew Party on the NE side? It's 100% better than Todd's store in terms of selection and cleanliness.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 01-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArroganceFan View Post
Thanks for the reply Iamarguy! Thats good to hear and makes me feel a lot better applying for the job.
You will love it there.san antonio is a great place to live much more mountainess than say houston which is totally flat.Hey say good bye to
your snow shovel and salt!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am definitly going to be putting in for the position. Heres hoping I get it If I do I will definitly hit you guys up for more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Hey say good bye to your snow shovel and salt!
I cant wait

Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1573 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 811

San Antonio is not bad. We will probably move before our children start school and it will be either Austin or SA. I wouldn't mind living in Olmos Park or Alamo Heights. Crime is probably worse but I like the old town features compared to living out 1604 where everything is new and spread out.

Need to perfect my Spanish though.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I grew up in Ohio in the Dayton area and got out as soon as I could. Career prospects are 500% better here than up there where the economy is at a real dead end. If you make the jump you won't be sorry you did. My only regret is that I didn't talk my family into moving down here with me so I still have to go visit them once a year during snow season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I love San Antonio, about the only rude people here are the tourists . I dont hate a thing about it except for the hot weather, but It can be quite enjoyable as well. I think San Antonio's got a little bit of everything for everyone. I am still amazed at how nice areas of San Antonio just keep popping up. It's been in boom for quite some time now.

Housing is really decent in terms of price and comfort. I've got 2 kids, so I don't get to do the club scene much, but there are decent bars and restaurants, 3 LHBS, 2 Theme parks, zoo, waterpark, good school districts to choose from, lots of historical building and culture, and a variety of city and state parks.

You're also pretty close to the hill country ( about 10 miles) , 2 lakes, and the coast is about 1.5 hours away. Even living in neighboring towns will get you to downtown San Antonio in about 30-60 minutes. Most business are not located in the downtown area , most seem to be scattered on the outskirts of 410 loop.

Good luck !

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Quick Reply