Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Sam Adams Utopias Glassware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Has anybody ever thought about how you could make something in the vein of a Utopias? I know you would really need their "ninja yeast," but what if you started with the biggest barleywine recipe you could find, doubled it, did a true secondary fermentation with a champaign yeast, add some oak chips, did a third fermentation, aged it forever - how close do you think you could come? Could you make an uber-thick, malty, hoppy beer with alcohol of 16% - 18%?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #12
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Duel
I found mine at Wegman's. It was about $140-145 plus tax.

It's beautiful... [tear]

If Wegman's still has them, I'd buy a few... that's a steal.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #13
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Has anybody ever thought about how you could make something in the vein of a Utopias? I know you would really need their "ninja yeast," but what if you started with the biggest barleywine recipe you could find, doubled it, did a true secondary fermentation with a champaign yeast, add some oak chips, did a third fermentation, aged it forever - how close do you think you could come? Could you make an uber-thick, malty, hoppy beer with alcohol of 16% - 18%?
I've seen several posts on other boards with people trying to make this. SA ferments it some insane number of times (8, 10?... don't remember). It sounds like a pretty painful process and it's part of the reason for the hefty price tag. I think one guy got his clone to 21%... I think the last batch of Utopias were around 25%. I don't remember if he posted what his clone actually tasted like though.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

If ya started it with a good scottish ale yeast that would get ya to 13%ish pretty ez, then could possibly finish it off with distilling yeast, should get ya to around 25% ABV

Old 09-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

It's not something I plan on doing, I'm just curious whether anyone has done or heard of someone doing something like that. Although, I do have a couple of 3 gallon carboys that I could use for long-term aging...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I wasnt planning on it either, BUT . . . since it was mentioned I did some number crunching . . .

I figure you would need a OG of 1.195. That means for a 5 gallon batch you're looking at about 38.5lbs of malt (used 2 row in Promash with 75% efficency), -OR- 21 lbs of generic light DME -OR- 28lbs of generic light LME.

If my math is right your's looking at about 40 gallons of water if ya fly sparge
I'm thinking I would almost have to make 3 sperate mashes and boil them down then combine them into 1 final boil to add hops.

If I get a wild hair up me arse and decide to try this (and I just may) I think I would use the DME in 4 gallons of water. Bring the 4 gallons of water to a boil remove heat then use a paint strier on my drill to mix it up, THEN do my steeping grains seperate in another few gallons mix the 2 and boil them down . . . god knows WTF I would do for hops. . . probably aim for about 70 - 140 IBU's and call it a English Barley Wine.

**EDIT**
Brewers Gold 4 oz 7%AA 60min
Bullion 2 oz 7%AA 40min
Fuggles 2oz 5%AA 20min
EK Goldings 2oz 4.75%AA at flame out

108.8 IBU's

Old 10-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
Eric_Duel
Recipes 

I believe a large amount of fermentables is added via maple syrup, so you could keep the grain bill smaller and thus have a smaller mash. That's a lot of boiling otherwise...

[EDIT] I just read your other thread. You're a maniac... :cheers: [/EDIT]

Quick Reply