Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Salmonella in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
nghtmre4u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I recently brewed a oatmeal porter that called for 2 oz of coco powder at last ten minutes of boil so go to the store buy a new container and add my 2 ounces this was a week ago. Today I get a message that the company has issued a recall of the coco due to a chance of salmonella contamination although no illnesses have been reported. Can salmonella survive the boil and live in the beer. This beer I think is one of the best brews I had hit all numbers fermentation temps were right on smells freaking fantastic. What do you guys think will it be ok or will I have a salmonella surprise stout instead of a oatmeal porter.

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Beer_is_good_for_you
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

No, salmonella will not survive the boil.

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live on nothing but food and water." W.C. Fields

Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Brewshock
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Salmonella bacteria grow at temperatures between 41 and 113 degrees F. They are readily destroyed by cooking to 160 F and do not grow at refrigerator or freezer temperatures. They do survive refrigeration and freezing, however, and will begin to grow again once warmed to room temperature.

Quick Reply