The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Rye - the liquor, the grain, the ingredient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rye - the liquor, the grain, the ingredient

I've seen a few posts and recipes with rye as an ingredient in the brew. I've never had a rye beer. I've had rye bread, don't particularly care for it. I've read about Rye whiskey but never actually saw it in any bar or liquor store. So....

I inquired about Rye at the liquor store last Friday, while browsing around after picking out a couple of commercial brews. The guy behind the counter looked around a bit, and then just told me to check back with him next time I'm in.

I go in tonight, and that guy isn't working, I pick out some brews to enjoy during tonights world series game (OH YEAH, Go Sox!) and then browse the whiskey section a bit, and I discover a bunch of Jim Beam RYE with the yellow label -- $12.99 a fifth!

So I'm excited that finally somebody at a store listens to a customer and gives a crap! And I'm excited to try something new and not get bent over on the price!

I pick up a bottle, take it home, pour a nice glass on the rocks, about like I would normally do with a glass of scotch or bourbon. At first sniff it smells very similar to bourbon. My son says he thinks it smells a little "bready". Then I taste it -- it's got a very sharp, distinctive taste that hits you in the back of the mouth, quite different than scotch or bourbon. And after a few sips -- this has really grown on me -- I like the heck out of Rye Whisky!

So, anyone else out there a Rye drinker? Favorite brands, if you've sampled many?

And, can someone tell me what a rye beer is like, or what rye does to the flavor of beer? Any commercial examples I might find in the Boston area, to see what I think?

I know this was a long post, hoping it has some interest, I had no idea which forum category to put it under...

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I know of 2-3 examples of beer with added rye malt. Hop Rod Rye and Terrapin Rye in Georgia are 2 that come to mind. I's sure there are several more.
Then there is Denny Conn's famous Rye IPA which is great. Denny'sRyeIPA.

Rye adds a spicey taste to the IPA that I brewed. Nothing similar to rye bread.

Gary

Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My rye ale gets a spicy hint that is in no way similar to rye bread. My ale is primarily munich malt so you get a lot of great malty flavour plus that spicy flavour and a nice dry clean finish in your mouth. I found I really liked it, I haven't been able to get rye malt lately or I'd definitely be making it again.

I don't drink hard liquor so I'm no help to you on that front.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Chris_B
Recipes 

I just put a Roggenbier - (German rye beer) in the fermenter on Saturday. The airlock sure smells good! I will have more details in 3 or 4 weeks.

Got the recipe from Jamil's show. See the link athttp://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php - it's the Feb 12th episode.

This recipe is 45% rye malt. I like rye bread, so I decided to give it a try. Can't seem to find any rye beers around here.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Terrapin Rye is pretty good. Definitely spicy. It is hard for me to say what is rye spice and what is from the hop, but it is a good APA.

I think Jim Beam makes a Rye Whiskey, in the green labeled bottle (ah, I mean, yellow ). I have never had any but I want to try some.

Last edited by Beerrific; 10-25-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Rye bread typically has caraway seeds in it - that's probably the flavor you're opposed to. I don't care for them much, either.

The only rye whiskey I've seen for sale is Jim Beam Rye (yellow label). Never tasted it, so I can't comment further.

As for rye beer, The only one I ever had was Dude's Red Eye Rye. It was good, but I can't say that I picked out a distinct flavor that I can attribute to rye.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Wow, I think I've just stumbled on a culture thing here.

Where I am, whiskey is referred to as rye. When you go to a buddy's house and he offers you a drink, he says, 'Want a glass of rye?'. It's typically mixed with Coke or Seven Up, sometimes Ginger Ale. In addition to that, virtually ALL the bread we eat in my house is rye. Not caraway rye because I'm the only one who likes it, but bread made with rye. I love it.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Then there is Denny Conn's famous Rye IPA which is great. Denny'sRyeIPA.
Enjoying a glass of that right now, excellent stuff! I agree with the spicy observation in most rye beers.

There are a few other commercial rye examples. I have a bottle of Weyerbacher 12 Rye Barleywine aging in the cellar. East End's Kavass is brewed using fermented rye bread.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:59 AM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
Wow, I think I've just stumbled on a culture thing here.

Where I am, whiskey is referred to as rye. When you go to a buddy's house and he offers you a drink, he says, 'Want a glass of rye?'. It's typically mixed with Coke or Seven Up, sometimes Ginger Ale.
Whiskey is the only hard stuff I will ever drink and drink very little so I am not expert but I think you are right. In America if you order a whiskey you will probably get bourbon or Jack Daniels if you order a "Rye Whiskey" you will either get one made with rye or looked at funny. To be labeled bourbon, the whiskey must be at least 51% corn. To be labeled Rye whiskey it must be at least 51% rye malt (US law). According to wikipedia, almost all whiskey sold in Canada is labeled Rye Whiskey even if it has very little rye in it.

interesting.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Here's a link to a few commercially available rye whiskeys in the US.

Quick Reply