Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > routan honduras

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
hammer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default routan honduras

my old boss just called me and asked if i would go to roatan Honduras to build a room addition on his house there, he will pay all expenses ,round trip flight , extra charges to ship my tools , food ,and of coarse keep the frig stocked with BEER his the house is right on beach of the Caribbean the problem i am having is being away from the family for 3 months i have been away before but never in a foreign country also there will be a language issue i think since i will have to hire local people . my wife says go for it. it will be a chance to travel. so what would you do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Bad timing?

Quote:
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Allies of Honduras' ousted President Manuel Zelaya say U.S.-backed talks in Costa Rica Saturday may be the last chance to avert a clash, perhaps even civil war.

Zelaya is threatening to return to his homeland with or without an agreement on ending the standoff and has said Hondurans have a constitutional right to launch an insurrection against an illegitimate government.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A guy I work with has been there twice in the last year or so from what I hear it is amazing. GO and figure out a way to sneak the wife over for a short congical visit.

Google the place it looks beautiful

Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You won't have a terrible time with language at Roatan- it's so touristy, English is very widely spoken.

But yes, the political unrest there has been pretty bad recently. I would still go, though. After the US, I've lived in Honduras the most, and really like the place. See some soccer while you're there, but you'll have to go to the mainland, probably.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hazardous duty pay?

Tools like to come up missing from air flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do it

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
hammer1
Recipes 

yes shipping my tools does bother me, no hazzard pay but its more than what im making sitting on my fat ars business is way down so its somthing. he is just trying to help me

Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can probably sell most of your tools for a profit before you leave & avoid having to ship them back. I've got Roatan on my list of places to go before I'm 50. I remember reading an article in Fortune Small Business that's probably good to read before you go. It will give you an idea of what goes on down there .

Capt. Stanley's unlicensed, DIY shark dives in Honduras - Oct. 21, 2008

Old 07-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Roatan is very cool- great snorkeling and diving. I love to travel, so I'd go at the drop of a hat. I like Belize a bit better, but Roatan is still a great place.

If your passport is good for at least another year, I'd say do it. You'd hate to get caught down there in the middle of what could be a civil war and be forced to overstay your passport. ( I don't think the tourist areas would be affected at all, just that flights in/out may be affected by the politcal unrest).

My next want-to-go-tos are Panama and Nicaragua. I love central America and haven't been there in nearly 5 years. It's beautiful, and I love it. I love hot weather, and the people are awesome. I'm into snorkeling, so I particularly like the beach areas on the Carribean.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had a blast in Roatan...some of the best diving you'll find.

scuba_steve.jpg

It is absolutely beautiful and plenty of tourists come through so you should be OK as long as you watch your back. Good Luck and have fun!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Quick Reply