Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Road Trip!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Road Trip!!!

Last year took the family on a 22 day / 6600 mile road trip (Milwaukee > St Loius > Little Rock > Corpus Christi > Carlsbad Caveren > Grand Canyon > Zion Nat Park > Northern Idaho > Yellow Stone > Rapid City > Mall of America > Milwaukee) and had so much fun we are doing it again this summer. We are taking a different route but hitting some of the same places, check out this years route HERE

The route is pretty solid but looking for any suggestions on or near it that would be family orientated . . . So whatchya guys got for me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
jmp138
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

From looking at the map, I would definitely say you need to hit Yosemite and Grand Teton. Those are absolutely two of the most incredible places in the US and you are definitely going to be close. Rocky Mountain National Park in northern Colorado is pretty incredible as well. Yosemite, however, is a must.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp138 View Post
Yosemite, however, is a must.
Yup it's on the plan, that's the reason for the dip south out of Reno

(you can zoom in and out and stuff to get a better idea of the actual route)

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
BarleyRocket
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Couple ways to extend the route if you're interested.
The little bit I've been through of Northeastern Nevada...wasn't the best time I've had on the road. It'd be a bit of a trip, and it's not much better driving, but were you to head north on 84/15 and drive through southern Idaho, you could hit Atomic City (first place powered by nukes) and EBR-1 - first commercial reactor. They've got a nice facility there to see some history of nuclear power. Craters of the moon park is nearby, NASA tested (still does?) lunar rovers there. Newer rovers have also been tested outside Moses Lake WA, you'll pass by that it appears. Further west in Boise you'd be able to hit the Birds of Prey center - pretty neat for all ages. There area few other things to see in the Boise area if you're interested as well.
Two things you could add to the coastal run are Monterey to the south - Gorgeous city, well worth the loop and Seattle to the north. The aquarium in Monterey is one of the best I've seen(particularly the Lion's Mane Jelly tank). Seattle of course has more to do than one post would do justice.
Not sure the reason for a stop in St Maries, but as a route there the Palouse highway is effective, but that's about it. I'd just as soon for a road trip go through Coeur d'Alene - a bit to do there if you'd like, and run down Hwy 97 on the east side of the lake through Harrison. Beautiful drive, though my wife needs motion sickness pills for it. No worse than driving through the redwoods of California though. On the way east Wallace has some neat mining museums, the tours are well worth it.
I've driven the coastal route and then some several times, never gets old. Worked in Boise one summer, and live in Spokane - give a shout when you're through.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Can I come?

Quick Reply